companionship

Status
Not open for further replies.

Weed Finder

5 Year Member
Hello: I own 7 Greek tortoises and then last year adopted a female Sulcata, age 3, who was living in a tank in a basement. She is now outside and loving her life. My question: does she need a companion? I've been wondering if she'd be better off with another female.

My Greeks like to hang out together (in a separate area from the Sulcata) although I do have to keep the males apart from the females. They'd get no peace otherwise. But what about Sulcatas? Are they more solitary or pack oriented? I'm thinking that a male might present another set of problems, so my main question is does she need a female friend or not?

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Oregon
If i ever own a sulcata i would only keep one.

Most people here who keep sulcata will tell you she is fine alone.
They will also tell you 1 or 3 but never 2.

Search for a thread titled "pairs of tortoises" by member Tom for an in depth discussion on that topic.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
She does not need or want another tortoise. It would not be seen as a "friend". It would be seen as a competitor, interloper or tormentor. They are happiest with YOUR company, not that of another tortoise. Also many females are just as aggressive as males. I have one like this. The big male in their 7000 square foot enclosure keeps her in line. Without him, I think she'd batter the other females.

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
I HAD 2 males.... Take my advice... Keep 1 and only 1 Sulcata (Unless your PLANNING a breeding program)

kjr153

5 Year Member
I thought my baby Sulcata needed a "buddy" too but Tom quickly assured me it didn't want a friend. I just feel like my Tort gets lonely but I guess they don't.

Weed Finder

5 Year Member
I suppose I wondered about "lonely" because if she hears voices, she comes looking for you. Then she also seeks out my dogs and sits next to them.

I read somewhere that two males was a BAD idea, so that's why I wondered about another female, but since those who've tried it advise no, then that's good enough for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.