compare leopard with sulcata care

Status
Not open for further replies.

marcy4hope

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Missouri
i am considering getting another tortoise this winter. i am currently raising a one year old sulcata. i would NOT raise the two together, so that is not a concern. i'm just curious as to what the big differences would be if i raised a leopard compared to raising the sulcata? am just doing research now to see if a leopard is the way to go for me next. thanks. oh, and my sulcata is growing great and has an extremely smooth shell. i keep humidity levels high. this is my most recent photo of my sulcata, taken this week at 13 months of age.
100_4460.jpg

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
There is not much difference between the leopard and sulcata. Take a look at the threads below. Even though there is a sulcata one and a leopard one, they are pretty much the same. I believe the only diff. is size, burrowing and temperament.

BTW your tort looks great.

glenys123

5 Year Member
Hi, I have a 7 yr old sulcata and a 4 yr old leopard housed together and they get on lovely, the leopard follows the sully about in the garden .

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
As babies, I house and care for them identically. The one difference would be more grass in the sulcata diet and more broadleaf weeds and stuff for leopards. As they get larger, I prefer above ground housing for leopards and below ground housing for sulcatas, but really either can work for either.

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
Tom said:
As babies, I house and care for them identically. The one difference would be more grass in the sulcata diet and more broadleaf weeds and stuff for leopards. As they get larger, I prefer above ground housing for leopards and below ground housing for sulcatas, but really either can work for either.

+1

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
The care I offer each species is identical.

marcy4hope

10 Year Member!
Missouri
thanks a lot. i really appreciate all the help. i'm really leaning towards a leopard being my next tortoise.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
glenys123 said:
Hi, I have a 7 yr old sulcata and a 4 yr old leopard housed together and they get on lovely, the leopard follows the sully about in the garden .

Although the care is the same. They should not be housed together. The sulcata could and probably will some day soon really hurt the leopard. Two different species should not be housed together.

Eweezyfosheezy

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
I keep mine the exact same. I do recommend getting a leo because you are so familiar with sulcatas. That sulcata looks great!

Status
Not open for further replies.