Comparision of burmese star and Indian star hatchling tortoise

Location (City and/or State)
Chennai
Hello Tortoise people, I wonder what are the possible ways to identify the comparison of Indiam star hatchling and Burmese Star hatclig tortoises. I feel very much confusing researching online but in real view its very tough to find out the correct.

Please me out people this question resolves many many heads !!!

G-stars

5 Year Member
Southern California
It’s really obvious to those who own them but can be a bit confusing for those new to them. This link might help out a bit.

Chennai
It’s really obvious to those who own them but can be a bit confusing for those new to them. This link might help out a bit.
Hi, thanks for that link but i have gone thru that link so many times, and iam much familiar with adult which has prity radiation marks to identify, but i asking help for hatclings and below year old Indian Star tortoises.

TeamZissou

Albuquerque, NM
Hi, thanks for that link but i have gone thru that link so many times, and iam much familiar with adult which has prity radiation marks to identify, but i asking help for hatclings and below year old Indian Star tortoises.

The same rules apply to hatchlings. The main thing to look for is if the yellow lines perfectly meet where the scutes come together. If they do, then it's a Burmese, if not, it's Indian or Sri Lankan--which are now defined as the same species.

Here are some photos for comparison:

Burmese hatchlings:

Indian hatchlings:

Chennai
The same rules apply to hatchlings. The main thing to look for is if the yellow lines perfectly meet where the scutes come together. If they do, then it's a Burmese, if not, it's Indian or Sri Lankan--which are now defined as the same species.

Burmese hatchlings:

Indian hatchlings:
Adding images for yall to identify...

Attachments

• 20210809_093037.jpg
    20210809_093037.jpg
    651 KB · Views: 21
  • 20210809_093042.jpg
    20210809_093042.jpg
    705.4 KB · Views: 20
  • 20210809_093106.jpg
    20210809_093106.jpg
    643.1 KB · Views: 16
  • 20210809_093121.jpg
    20210809_093121.jpg
    702.5 KB · Views: 16
  • 20210809_093128.jpg
    20210809_093128.jpg
    829.8 KB · Views: 16
  • 20210809_092921.jpg
    20210809_092921.jpg
    610.1 KB · Views: 20

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Adding images for yall to identify...
The pictures are all Indian Stars.

Look at the pattern developing on the scutes. An Indian Star will basically have 4 rays developing. Later as it grows that can become 8 and 12 rays forming the "star" pattern.

A Burmese Star always has a pattern of 6 rays to the main vertebral scutes. This develops a very distinctive hexagon pattern as it grows and always remains 6 rays for each vertebral scute.

As new babies, before much growth it is more confusing to see. But if you count the tan/light colored gaps where each vertebral scute meets the corner of two other adjacent scutes - there will always be 6.

The easiest way for a baby is the plastron. A Burmese baby will have a dark, solid pattern developing at the scute seams. This later becomes a distinctive triangular pattern on each scute. An Indian Star plaston develop a streaked/ray-like pattern.

Burmese babies:
IMG_0096.JPG
IMG_0115.JPG

Chennai

Burmese hatchlings:

Indian hatchlings:
Adding images for yall to identify
The pictures are all Indian Stars.

Look at the pattern developing on the scutes. An Indian Star will basically have 4 rays developing. Later as it grows that can become 8 and 12 rays forming the "star" pattern.

A Burmese Star always has a pattern of 6 rays to the main vertebral scutes. This develops a very distinctive hexagon pattern as it grows and always remains 6 rays for each vertebral scute.

As new babies, before much growth it is more confusing to see. But if you count the tan/light colored gaps where each vertebral scute meets the corner of two other adjacent scutes - there will always be 6.

The easiest way for a baby is the plastron. A Burmese baby will have a dark, solid pattern developing at the scute seams. This later becomes a distinctive triangular pattern on each scute. An Indian Star plaston develop a streaked/ray-like pattern.

Burmese babies:
View attachment 330885
View attachment 330886
Thats a lot of information a clear information which i was lookin for Mark !! Real info confirmed!!!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
This is where I learned the difference before I got mine.

I agree with Mark. The plastrons are the dead give away. Having hatched over 100, there is a lot of carapace pattern variation amongst babies of both species, but the plastrons are always the same between the two species.