Comparison of Major Mercury Bulbs Vapor Bulbs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Falcon70

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
North Carolina
Hey Everyone,

I know these Mercury bulbs and UVB lights have been a much debated and talked about topic, but when looking at three of the major brands today I noticed a huge price difference. On http://www.herpsupplies.com, they have three different bulbs:

SunSpot UV - Fluker's: $32
Solar Glo "Professional Series" / Exo-Terra: $29
Powersun UV: Zoo Med: $47

Is this because of a quality difference such as life expectancy or UVB outage?

Thanks

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
Powersun has brand reputation power. I happen to prefer them due to familiarity. However, that does not mean they are truly of higher quality. The prices are where they are because those are the most acceptable compromises between the companies and those who pay for them.

A genuinely good analysis would take a lot of bulbs bought of spread out manufacturing lots over a significant period of time (like a year if they are recommended to be swapped out every six months) in identical mounting and electrical setups. Personal anecdotes on a smaller scale are garbage as far as data go.

That said, my garbage is that I have always done well by the Powersun. I have used some Asian off brand before, but I bought three of those and they died very, very quickly, so I stick with what has been relatively reliable for me.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I think there are different uses for different bulbs. The MVB seems to be a bit harsh for redfooted and other forest-type tortoises, with the tube-type florescent doing a better job in that venue.

I use the MVB and I usually always buy a known brand lke Power Sun. I've been totally happy with it and the way it functions and lasts. I don't know why the Solar Glo is so much cheaper, but maybe its because that is usually the only brand that pet stores carry. The others have to be ordered via the 'net.

Falcon70

10 Year Member!
North Carolina
Thanks for the feedback! I have two Russians and the way their enclosures are set up, a MVB would work better. I'll look into the Sun Glo a little more, but the one year warranty the PowerSun has is pretty nice.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Falcon70 said:
Thanks for the feedback! I have two Russians and the way their enclosures are set up, a MVB would work better. I'll look into the Sun Glo a little more, but the one year warranty the PowerSun has is pretty nice.

I do believe most Russian owners uses the tube type fluorescents. I think the mvb are too much for them. Not quite sure, seems like I did read that before. Look I to it before you spend the money on a mvb. BTW, I use the power sun for my leopard

Status
Not open for further replies.