Complete rundown on breeding Three Toed Box turtles?

Charis

5 Year Member
I recently adopted a 1.1 pair of Three Toed box turtles that were an owner surrender to an animal shelter, who passed them on to a dedicated turtle/tort rescue, who then adopted them to me, so I don't have much info on them.

I don't particularly have plans to breed them per se, but since they've been housed together for years, probably, and I've witnessed breeding activity, I want to be prepared. Plus, usually when I get a new animal, I like to know all aspects of their care, including reproduction but that seems to be an area not well covered for turtles. Can someone give me either a link to a comprehensive article dealing with it all the way from breeding, laying, incubation and hatching or write out an outline on all that here? I'd really appreciate it!

I've read a bit here and there but the info I'm looking for seems to be very scattered and sometimes missing. I apologize if what I'm asking for is already on here, I did search, I promise!

Lyles

As long as they have a good habitat, good food and both are over 7 years old they could mate. Boxies aren't perticularly picky, especially when there is only 1 male.

Charis

5 Year Member
I guess my two most pressing questions are: is it likely that the female might lay eggs at this time of year? Or is that more of a spring thing? And what is required for a good nesting place? These guys are currently indoors and I'm planning on hopefully keeping them awake over the winter. I'll be making them a nice large outdoor pen next spring but they will be indoors until that can be finished.

Lyles

They lay eggs twice a year generally, all the boxies have laid their 2nd batch by now and many are hatching at this moment, this is consistent regardless if kept indoors or out. As long as they have a secure place to dig a nest with at least 6" of moist dirt and have a good size water dish to soak in. They prefer places with lots of cover. The area also needs to be around 80F. Moisture is the key here. If the ground is too try the eggs will shrivel up and die, if too wet the eggs will drown and rot. For outdoors it depends on where you live and what type of soil you have.