Completed my outdoor enclosure

Texas Scott

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
TX
Hey all!

I just wanted to share my outdoor enclosure that was completed this weekend. Its placed where a patio of bricks was falling apart. We dug them out and placed a 9x7 rectangle of cinderblocks then used the bricks as a trim/over hang. I used cypress mulch and organic topsoil with some Mexican beach rocks as a path to his hide. The hide is a tupperware tub that I cut an entrance into then flipped upside down covered in topsoil. There was an old rock garden with some giant rocks and statues so I used those to dress up the hide. I planted several petunia flowers and pansies. On the mulch side is a Boston fern with two giant rocks creating another hide.

My wife is going to plant some kale and other edibles outside the enclosure. I will also be creating a wire cover so my RT can't climb out and to protect from predators. I really only plan on using this during the day and he will come back inside at night.

Its only my second/third week into tort ownership, so please let me know if you have any suggestions or improvements you see I should make.

Thanks

Front.JPG outdoor back.JPG outdoortop.JPG sidecave.JPG bostonfernhide.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

Rue

Canada
That is very cute! I am sure your tortoise will love it!

Texas Scott

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
TX
Thanks everyone!

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
A lovely enclosure, lucky tort!:D

Would you please post a pic of your tort? Thanks.

And a very warm welcome to the forum! :tort:

bryson white

5 Year Member
Southern California
Hey all!

I just wanted to share my outdoor enclosure that was completed this weekend. Its placed where a patio of bricks was falling apart. We dug them out and placed a 9x7 rectangle of cinderblocks then used the bricks as a trim/over hang. I used cypress mulch and organic topsoil with some Mexican beach rocks as a path to his hide. The hide is a tupperware tub that I cut an entrance into then flipped upside down covered in topsoil. There was an old rock garden with some giant rocks and statues so I used those to dress up the hide. I planted several petunia flowers and pansies. On the mulch side is a Boston fern with two giant rocks creating another hide.

My wife is going to plant some kale and other edibles outside the enclosure. I will also be creating a wire cover so my RT can't climb out and to protect from predators. I really only plan on using this during the day and he will come back inside at night.

Its only my second/third week into tort ownership, so please let me know if you have any suggestions or improvements you see I should make.

Thanks

View attachment 167017 View attachment 167018 View attachment 167019 View attachment 167020 View attachment 167021
very cool

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego
I love it!! You two did a great job!

My only concern is the corner with the hide. It looks like a perfect escape route. Maybe you can add another row or two of red bricks just in that corner.

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
I really like the use of the pagoda as both a hide and a hill to provide some creative landscaping for the little dude. My Russian loves to burrow and climb so I could see him enjoying something like that. Where did you find your pagoda?

DutchieAmanda

5 Year Member
Netherlands
That looks really nice!
The big green plant, is that a real fern? Is it safe for your tort to eat? I like the look of it :)

Texas Scott

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
TX
That looks really nice!
The big green plant, is that a real fern? Is it safe for your tort to eat? I like the look of it :)

http://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/site/plants_19.asp?st=true&mode=main&catID=568

I really like the use of the pagoda as both a hide and a hill to provide some creative landscaping for the little dude. My Russian loves to burrow and climb so I could see him enjoying something like that. Where did you find your pagoda?

Thanks we like it as well! We move into our home a few months ago and there was a rock garden in shambles and it was laying there. We were actually going to just toss it but then I set it on top and it looked perfect.

I love it!! You two did a great job!

My only concern is the corner with the hide. It looks like a perfect escape route. Maybe you can add another row or two of red bricks just in that corner.

I agree. For the most part a cover will be on top when he is in there, but I do like the idea of just adding bricks to that corner when needed (I have plenty left over!)