Concerend about my tortoise health

Vaidehi Patil

Location (City and/or State)
Ahmedabad
So, a few weeks go I noticed something wrong with the tortoise, following things that happened with her-
  • She isn't able to open her eyes. Once in a while, she opens one of her eyes, and sometimes not.
  • There is some gluey substance which is on the cover of her eyes. I removed that thing with a piece of cloth.
  • Her saliva is coming out of her mouth and nose in the form of bubbles
  • She sleeps with her head down.
  • She tries to scream, but sometimes we can hear nothing, and sometimes there is a squeaking sound.
  • loss of appetite
  • sometimes her face starts to get red
  • she rubs her face with her hands
These all are the symptoms of respiratory infection. Please tell us how to deal with it.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
It does sound like a respiratory infection.
It could also be severe dehydration. overheating or some type of poisoning.
But one thing is for sure. Its serious.
Your tortoise needs to see a qualified vet ASAP.
What kind of lighting and heating are you using? Because my first guess is overheating and light burns. If there is any chance of that being possible. Lower the temperature right away.

Vaidehi Patil

Ahmedabad
What kind of lighting and heating are you using? Because my first guess is overheating and light burns. If there is any chance of that being possible. Lower the temperature right away.
cant we take care of her in the house?

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
cant we take care of her in the house?
If we knew for a fact what the issue or possible sickness is....Maybe.
But the animal might get worse while we guess at what's going on at this rate. And it sounds dire to me.
Try keeping him or her warm. Not hot and maybe let him soak in a shallow plate of warm (again. Not hot) water.
How long have you had him?
How are you housing him?
How long has he been acting this way?
Was he eating and acting normal before?
You didn't answer my question in the previous post.
Anyone that's going to try to help you is going to need more information.

Vaidehi Patil

Ahmedabad
If we knew for a fact what the issue or possible sickness is.
The animal might get worse while we guess at what's going on. And it sounds dire to me.
Try keeping him or her warm. Not hot and maybe let him soak in a shallow plate of warm (again. Not hot) water.
How long have you had him?
How are you housing him?
How long has he been acting this way?
Was he eating and acting normal before?
You didn't answer my question in the previous post.
Anyone that's going to try to help you needs more information
we keep her warm and soak her in water too
I got her 4 months ago
I let her roam around the house, I only take her out in the sun when I get time because there are eagal and cats everywhere
she is acting this way for the past 2 weeks, i think
yes she was fine before

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
we keep her warm and soak her in water too
I got her 4 months ago
I let her roam around the house, I only take her out in the sun when I get time because there are eagal and cats everywhere
she is acting this way for the past 2 weeks, i think
yes she was fine before
OK that seems to rule out a few things.
She might be exposed to something in the house while roaming. Or it IS a respiratory infection.
Did anything out of the ordinary happen?
How cold is it in the house?
If it is a respiratory infection, I have no experience in self treatment.
Antibiotics would be needed. But a veterinarian would need to make that diagnosis

Vaidehi Patil

Ahmedabad
OK that seems to rule out a few things.
She might be exposed to something in the house while roaming. Or it IS a respiratory infection.
Did anything out of the ordinary happen?
How cold is it in the house?
If it is a respiratory infection, I have no experience in self treatment.
Antibiotics would be needed. But a veterinarian would need to make that diagnosis

about getting exposed .... we spray termite everywhere . can she get affected by that?

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
about getting exposed .... we spray termite everywhere . can she get affected by that?
That's probably a residual poison.
That's certainly a possibility.
Letting a tortoise roam around the house is a horrible idea. This is a good example of why.
Keep her off of the floor and away from any area treated with insect spray.

Last edited:

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Hopefully if it was the poison, it's just an external irritation of the face and sinuses and it will pass.
But I can only guess at the cause and the outcome

Chennai
So, a few weeks go I noticed something wrong with the tortoise, following things that happened with her-
  • She isn't able to open her eyes. Once in a while, she opens one of her eyes, and sometimes not.
  • There is some gluey substance which is on the cover of her eyes. I removed that thing with a piece of cloth.
  • She tries to scream, but sometimes we can hear nothing, and sometimes there is a squeaking sound.
  • loss of appetite
These all are the symptoms of respiratory infection. Please tell us how to deal with it.

Chennai
Feeling very bad and sad to say this, he or she is infected with cold. Those discharges are salaiva like how humans get when we infect by cold fever. If possible take to vet or very very dangerous to life. Try keeping him warm place under uva uvb basking lamps to generate heat.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi and welcome,
What species is your tort?

Vaidehi Patil

Ahmedabad
about lighting or heat, as I mentioned earlier I take her out in sun, or else I cover their box with fairy lights...

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
about lighting or heat, as I mentioned earlier I take her out in sun, or else I cover their box with fairy lights...
Here is the correct care info:

Read that and see what you are doing differently. Torts should never be roaming the floor, and they need a basking lamp, not fairy lights.

TaylorTortoise

Abington
her species is star tortoise
Where did you get your star from? Can we see pictures?

Do not let your tortoise roam around like a dog. Especially if you spray termite stuff all over the house…. If we were exposed to that we might have a severe reaction as well. Poison is poison…. Please give your star warm baths every day for 20-30 mins and feed it some leafy greens please. We need to see enclosure. Should have a humid hot basking area with substrAte…. And a hide…..

also, for basking need a basking bulb with fixture… and uvb/uva for shell health.

Tbh

California
  • loss of appetite
Hello how old is your
  • loss of appetite
are you from southern california? I was scammed by a guy a couple weeks ago on a super tiny sri lanka toroise…. I took it to the vet and apearently it was born without a tonuge and had a resperatorry infection by the vet… he advised me to put it down. I spent 400$ on it and $150 in vet bills… but the guy put me under pressure to buy it when he delivered it to my house… and when i asked why her eyes werent open he said…” its night time its asleep”. Then I told him i dont want to buy it, then he said well give me 50 dollars for gas… and I said you know what take the money because I seriously thought I could save her life. I gave him the $400 and he drove off honking the horn and then texted me “f**k you” and then proceded to block my number. My friend thinks I should try and take him to court. Still havnt had a propper burrial yet.

Tbh

California
  • loss of appetite
Hello how old is your

are you from southern california? I was scammed by a guy a couple weeks ago on a super tiny sri lanka toroise…. I took it to the vet and apearently it was born without a tonuge and had a resperatorry infection by the vet… he advised me to put it down. I spent 400$ on it and $150 in vet bills… but the guy put me under pressure to buy it when he delivered it to my house… and when i asked why her eyes werent open he said…” its night time its asleep”. Then I told him i dont want to buy it, then he said well give me 50 dollars for gas… and I said you know what take the money because I seriously thought I could save her life. I gave him the $400 and he drove off honking the horn and then texted me “f**k you” and then proceded to block my number. My friend thinks I should try and take him to court. Still havnt had a propper burrial yet.

Attachments

• EFBBD68A-852E-41A8-8542-6025FC7BADFB.jpeg
    EFBBD68A-852E-41A8-8542-6025FC7BADFB.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 11

TaylorTortoise

Abington
Hello how old is your

This is a crazy story. The guy sounds like he is on drugs or something. Who spends the time to invest in the animals to only sell them sick. Why invest/ care for them at all?

I understand for Money. But sometimes I wish those type of ignorant people would invest in like gambling instead… leave these poor animals alone. They don’t deserve to suffer.

did this gentleman have a website? What made you purchase off him out of others?