Concern for our tortoise’s growth

moriah2971

Location (City and/or State)
MS
I don’t know the exact age of our baby but we got him in May and he still had a place underneath for his umbilical cord and a beak to break his shell. So I am guessing he’s around 6 months. He’s been pretty non active since we got him and we had some issues with heat and humidity that we’ve worked out now! He’s finally eating a decent amount but not near what I would think he probably should. He’s 32 grams. I’m posting a picture. I know they are all different but what’s a healthy weigh for a 6 month hatchling? Also he gets a 20-30 minute soak everyday and we keep his humidity around 80-90% but his skin is still so dry! Is there anything I can apply that’s healthy to his skin?

Attachments

• D10B346B-8F8C-4100-9CAE-66AFC901CF3E.jpeg
    D10B346B-8F8C-4100-9CAE-66AFC901CF3E.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 35

BrookeB

10 Year Member!
Bodfish
Usually this is a bad sign. It’s a symptom of hatchling failure syndrome which is caused by a breeder who doesn’t start their hatchlings properly. Honestly I’ve never had luck getting a hatchling through being started wrong. I’m going to tag a few more knowledgeable members and maybe they can help you. Please look up hatchling failure syndrome. Also be prepared to help your guy fight for his life and in most cases not make it if it is hatchling failure.

For now Please give us full details on your setup. Enclosure temperatures, humidity ranges, current lightning bulbs, current heating bulbs and substrate you are using. The smallest detail can help us save your baby if it’s something to do with your enclosure. Also where you got your hatchling may help. I had a hatchling from one of the best breeders that was “failing” so I Knew it was something I was doing wrong, I come to find out it was a simple heating issue with my hot spot. The tortoise almost immediately got better.
@Tom @Markw84 @KarenSoCal

Pastel Tortie

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
North Florida
This is what @BrookeB was referring to:

moriah2971

MS
Usually this is a bad sign. It’s a symptom of hatchling failure syndrome which is caused by a breeder who doesn’t start their hatchlings properly. Honestly I’ve never had luck getting a hatchling through being started wrong. I’m going to tag a few more knowledgeable members and maybe they can help you. Please look up hatchling failure syndrome. Also be prepared to help your guy fight for his life and in most cases not make it if it is hatchling failure.

For now Please give us full details on your setup. Enclosure temperatures, humidity ranges, current lightning bulbs, current heating bulbs and substrate you are using. The smallest detail can help us save your baby if it’s something to do with your enclosure. Also where you got your hatchling may help. I had a hatchling from one of the best breeders that was “failing” so I Knew it was something I was doing wrong, I come to find out it was a simple heating issue with my hot spot. The tortoise almost immediately got better.
@Tom @Markw84 @KarenSoCal

Thank you I appreciate your help. I was afraid you may say failure to survive. He has been more active lately but everyday I am terrified I’m going to check on him and he won’t be alive. So right now he’s in a 40 gallon tank. I have the top screen covered in foil to help trap the heat and humidity inside. I have a T5 UV bulb that stays on around 12 hours during the day. I have a 65 watt incandescent bulb for heat during the day and a CHE emitter for night time heat. The warm side during the day is usually around 90-95 degrees. With a humidity around 80-90. The basking spot I check with a temp gun and it’s usually around 90-95 (should I get a higher wattage bulb?). Substrate is cypress mulch. I offer him dandelion greens, cactus, clovers, romaine, zucchini, mazuri pellets soften, romaine, mustard greens, turnip greens. He likes the mazuri pellets and zucchini the best.

moriah2971

MS
This is what @BrookeB was referring to:
Thank you!

BrookeB

10 Year Member!
Bodfish
Thank you I appreciate your help. I was afraid you may say failure to survive. He has been more active lately but everyday I am terrified I’m going to check on him and he won’t be alive. So right now he’s in a 40 gallon tank. I have the top screen covered in foil to help trap the heat and humidity inside. I have a T5 UV bulb that stays on around 12 hours during the day. I have a 65 watt incandescent bulb for heat during the day and a CHE emitter for night time heat. The warm side during the day is usually around 90-95 degrees. With a humidity around 80-90. The basking spot I check with a temp gun and it’s usually around 90-95 (should I get a higher wattage bulb?). Substrate is cypress mulch. I offer him dandelion greens, cactus, clovers, romaine, zucchini, mazuri pellets soften, romaine, mustard greens, turnip greens. He likes the mazuri pellets and zucchini the best.
I would try to raise the basking spot temperature to 100* by either lowering the heat light or getting a slightly higher watt bulb.

moriah2971

MS
Thank you!
When I read this the other day, it hit me that’s this is most likely what’s going on ?. When we purchased him there was another hatchling in his enclosure and his eyes were stuck shut! I asked the lady at the store if he was blind and she said “no, he just needs to be sprayed”. Had I only known them what I know now. Apparently they don’t soak their babies and the humidity was too low I’m sure.

BrookeB

10 Year Member!
Bodfish
When I read this the other day, it hit me that’s this is most likely what’s going on ?. When we purchased him there was another hatchling in his enclosure and his eyes were stuck shut! I asked the lady at the store if he was blind and she said “no, he just needs to be sprayed”. Had I only known them what I know now. Apparently they don’t soak their babies and the humidity was too low I’m sure.
I’ve been through it a few times, now my advice to anyone that is thinking about getting a hatchling is find the Best breeder you can. It’s heartbreaking losing a hatchling especially when you can’t do anything to stop it.

BrookeB

10 Year Member!
Bodfish
I’m hoping for the best with your baby, hopefully he will pull through it. ❤️

moriah2971

MS
I’m hoping for the best with your baby, hopefully he will pull through it. ❤️
Thank you! Yes, if this one does pass and we do get another.... for sure. Lesson learned. Do you know of anything I can do better to help him?