Concerned about Hermann Tortoise

Status
Not open for further replies.

lilhobbit

5 Year Member
Hi everyone! I'm new to the forums and to tortoise ownership :). I just got a Hermann Tortoise three days ago and I had a few concerns about his behavior. I'm not sure how long it takes them to adjust to being relocated but he hasn't eaten since I brought him home three days ago, at the moment I'm providing a mix of fresh greens until I can gather some weeds/flowers for him. He is in a vivarium ( I know horrible) until I build his new tortoise table next week. The temps are 80F during the day and 70F during the night with a humidity of 70%. All he seems to want to do is go under his hide and dig under the substrate and hide. I'm just not sure what sort of behavior to expect and I just want the little guy to eat. Any suggestions or advice?

Joanne

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Lancashire, UK
Does he have a basking spot? Reptiles can't digest without a basking lamp.

My hermann is fussy about where I buy my store bought greens from. You tried them from a different shop?

Have you tried soaking him for 10 minutes or so every couple of days in warm water? This can help them pass stools, and possibly get his digestion moving.

Keep offering each day and leave him alone to feed in peace. I'm sure he'll be fine after a couple of weeks.

ILoveTortoises2

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Mansfield, Ma
HMMM.... Well... It could be that he is getting used to his new enclosure OR he is picky. I know mine is like that all the time. I give them FRESH food everyday and sometimes not all the time he will just sleep all day. I heard hatchlings do sleep a lot then as they get older they will be more active. He will eat. Just have the UVA & UVB lighting and a basking light this helps....

lilhobbit

5 Year Member
He does have a basking spot, but I noticed that he was wheezing heavily as well.I was afraid he had a respiratory infection so I actually took him to the shop and they are taking him to the vet. So I'm just waiting on a call from the vet to find out what is wrong with the little guy and how I can help him.

Status
Not open for further replies.