Concerned About My Russian Tortoise

Status
Not open for further replies.

rockyMTNtortoise

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Colorado Springs
Hello all,

I haven't been on here for quite some time (few months), sorry. My Russian Tortoise "Deuce" has me concerned at the moment. He was started on Gentamycin antibiotic about 10 days ago because on persistent watery eyes, lethargy, and lack of appitite. Unfortunately, he is not eating anything but raddichio currently and the amount he is eating is markedly decreased from usual. BTW I kept him up all winter per Vet reccomendation. I have been soaking him every couple of days but he still appears very dry and still has tiny bubbles in the corner of his eyes. Weirdly since it has been nice the last couple of days, I put him in his habitat I have caught him eating pebbles a few times. Can't figure out why he would do that. I realize that can't be good for him. Please help. Any help would be much appreciated.

Brandon

MORTYtheTORTY

5 Year Member
Cali
what Kind of pebbles (white?)? If he's eating white pebbles or light colored then maybe he needs bits of cuttlebone?! Bubbles in the eyes isn't good, I just refunded a hatchling because he started gaping first then started blowing bubbles from his nose then his mouth then the next day or so from his eyes. I assumed he had pneumonia or RI. Have you ever tried Reptaid? I've been seeing this on the internet but never tried it or haven't heard info from anyone else but here's the link and hope to hear if anyone else has used this before http://coastalsilkworms.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=36_50&products_id=300

MORTYtheTORTY said:
what Kind of pebbles (white?)? If he's eating white pebbles or light colored then maybe he needs bits of cuttlebone?! Bubbles in the eyes isn't good, I just refunded a hatchling because he started gaping first then started blowing bubbles from his nose then his mouth then the next day or so from his eyes. I assumed he had pneumonia or RI. Have you ever tried Reptaid? I've been seeing this on the internet but never tried it or haven't heard info from anyone else but here's the link and hope to hear if anyone else has used this before http://coastalsilkworms.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=36_50&products_id=300

also if it starts changing colors then it might be parasites...I hope you have a good vet and the correct diagnosis. gluck and hope he gets better :(

nicoleandrocky

5 Year Member
California
doesn't sound good, hope things work out though, and soon you will get some replies from more experienced caretakers on here ;)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Brandon:

Do you keep either a red or black light on during the day? Sometimes these lights make the substrate look like its something to eat.

If not, maybe your tortoise could benefit from some mineral supplement. I like to use Sticky-Tongue Farms - Miner-all. It gives them the minerals that might be missing from their food.

Get some dark, leafy greens and chop them up in very small pieces. (turnip greens, escarole, endive, etc) Then add chopped raddiccio to it and mix it all up. Over time decrease the radiccio and increase the other greens and eventually you can stop chopping it up too.

Usually watery eyes is because the substrate is being kept too dry and its dusty for the tortoise. What substrate are you using? and do you wet it down?

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Hi...wow this little guy has been having a rough time of it....is this the tort that you rescued back in august? Well..from what I recall and what I also have read..this tort came from animal rescue....he had a really overgrown beak, which likely was a result of poor husbandry prior to you so probably already less than stellar health but awesome of you to take him in...then he showedand to not have a great appetite...swollen eyes...bubbly eyes....de wormed....treated with antibiotics for eye infection...then treated for suspected respiratory infection...going through winter months and now having likely continuation of illness.....so I think he and you are running your butts off in the last 7 months....now 7 months seems like along time..but in the life span of a tortoise not so long, you know?

Keep going...you are likely going to be dealing with "clean up" for some time to come...but give yourselves some kudos for your tenacious drive....keep going :D

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Antibiotics usually interfere with appetite. And watery eyes usually indicate a humidity problem not a RI.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I also would bump the soaks to daily..especially taking into consideration the variety of antibiotics he has been going through...antibiotics can be a little taxing on their kidneys too...so warm water soaks every day will help....and yes, watery eyes can be a sign of low humidity...but bubbles in the corners of the eyes can be indicative of underlying respiratory infection....especially taking into account priors....:D

I sure hope he comes around soon....:D

Status
Not open for further replies.