Concerned about my tortoise's breathing

Status
Not open for further replies.

kungfuturtle

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
United Kingdom
Not sure if it has been like this since I got it but I've heard a tortoise's breathing should be almost silent? Well my tortoise's isn't :/

I can hear it breathing from it's nose quite easily and it is quite fast. It sounds like when you push out of your nose and it makes this sound about every second. I'm concerned about my tortoise :/ Is there something wrong?

Thanks

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
kungfuturtle, yes a torts breathing should be rather silent. They do make sounds like hissing, squealing, clicking, clucking and some say almost a bark. You don't say how long you have had your Hermann or how old it is nor what type of environment you have it in. So it is hard for us to give you advice. But I would say if you can hear it breathing and it sounds raspy or is followed by bubbles from the nose I would see a vet. If your Hermann is new to you and he has not been to the vet I would take him now for his check up and have his breathing checked at the same time.

Oh yes and welcome to the forum.

M

Maggie Cummings

Tortoises breathe like a bellows. Their arms pump and their throat moves as they push air in and out. I can hear Bob breathe when he is resting in his shed. If yours has no bubbles and his breathing is not labored I wouldn't worry too much. Just keep an eye on it and take him to the Vet if you think it gets worse...

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
I was Just out with my big guys and noticed I could hear them breathe.. no bubbles, no moisture, nostrils wide and clear.. The Bellows is a good description.
They eat poop and all seems fine..

kungfuturtle

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
United Kingdom
Ahh thanks for the replies. Yeah there's no bubbles or anything. Also I've noticed that I can only hear this sometimes not all the time which i previously thought :) Oh and plus it seems to be when he's frightened

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
Yes, when scared they will breath heavier and you may also see their head bob and/or arms kinda move in and out. Sounds good. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.