Concerned about post hibernation cold/rainy weather

Labsue

Location (City and/or State)
Long Beach CA
I have a 30+ . CA desert tortoise that woke up from an over 4 month hibernation on 3/12...(kept in box in garage). Took him outside and, as usual he had low activity...but last evening a light rain started and he was moving around trying to drink some of the water and making a short odd guttural sound. I gave him some water and that seemed to help a little.
Because he was acting a little weird and it was cold (<50) outside and wet, I put him in a new box and brought him inside. I'm concerned the cold and or wet weather could cause a RI. But now he seems to be just sleeping (I keep checking for movement to be sure he's alive!). My main question is, should I put him outside when it's cold, and just bring him in at night? I don't remember ever having to deal with this before...it's always been plenty warm...and no rain.
Should I soak him now? How concerned should I be about the cold weather? I feel really dumb!!
Any advice would be deeply appreciated...

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
You have to set him up in a proper heated enclosure until your temps outside reaches its normal warmer temps. If you let him get wet and cold he will get sick and die. With the crazy temps that have been going on the last couple years both in the northern and southern states, an indoor enclosure will probably be needed every year.

Labsue

Long Beach CA
You have to set him up in a proper heated enclosure until your temps outside reaches its normal warmer temps. If you let him get wet and cold he will get sick and die. With the crazy temps that have been going on the last couple years both in the northern and southern states, an indoor enclosure will probably be needed every year.
Thank you so much for this advice! We’ll definitely keep him inside till the temps increase. Hopefully another week should do it....but lately you never know

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thank you so much for this advice! We’ll definitely keep him inside till the temps increase. Hopefully another week should do it....but lately you never know
Not just inside. Inside in a large heated enclosure with a basking area that will allow him to warm up his core temp, just like he would do in the sunshine in nicer weather.