Concerned for my Indian Star Tortoise

Tejas Agarwal

Location (City and/or State)
India
hello
i'm tejas, i recently got a indian star breed
i cant really assure the age, but it's 8cm long and 6cm wide and it's a male
i soak it for around 15 mins daily and give an hour of sunlight daily as well
i give 2 hibiscus leafs on alternate days and add wheat grass at times. i also add powder of calcium and d3 tab on the leaf
i'm not sure if my care is perfect/good/bad. so i need suggestions.
additionally, im facing 2 problems right now for which i am really concerned
1- he just sleeps all the time
2- his left of his eye, he is sort of having trouble opening it. i.e, while he is awake his left eye is always shut im facing this since a week, and i have thought of consulting a veterinarian soon.
one last thing i wanted to know is, how could i trim/cut short his nails as its getting too big.

RickyGoldsmith

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Uranus
How do you keep it otherwise ? Do you keep it in an enclosure ? Or just have built up a safe space for it ?
About feeding the torts, many here can give you more details, my experience is limited. For me, I try to keep to give them some variety.

But my torts are picky. They only eat fresh and unadulterated veggies. Leaves, even a day older, go wasted. They just won't touch it. And for unadulterated, my conclusion is where the veggies are coming from.

Over time, I've stated growing leaf veggies from them, at home in many flower pots. That is kinda working okay, for now. I've never had to treat them with supplement tablets (and I hope I never will have to), so again, I'm not sure about those.

The sleeping part may just be that he's trying to get accustomed to the new place. Just give him a nice hiding spot in it.

Regarding the eye, was it always like that ? Or is it a very recent development ? From the way you've described, you may want to visit the vet.

And why trim their nails. They are natural and look good. :D