Concerned new tortoise owner (sleepy/lethargic)

PenguinGod

5 Year Member
Yay posting cherry!

First off, I am brand new to tortoise ownership, so even though I've spent hours reading these forums and other resources for any and all tortoise info I will take any more advice you have to offer!

We got a Russian tortoise from tortoise supply a month ago, so he is a wild caught. My main concern is he sleeps a lot, like a whole lot. if i just let him sleep and never woke him up i'm not sure he would get up! When i do get him up he heads for the edge of the table and digs a whole lot then goes back to sleep, unless i place him under the heat lamp, then he just lays there and sleeps. Now we have taken him outside and he ran around and sampled some grasses, he also splashes around when he is being soaked, but for the most part not much activity in the tortoise table. (which sucks because we are in an apartment). He does eat an ok amount every couple days but he is not interested in more than that. He does have a vet appointment along with a parasite check set up for Friday.

http://imgur.com/a/er4ST Here is a album with some photos of the table. its 24"x55" using 2 exoterra 10.0 lights and a ceramic heat emitter. the temp is usually 80s on the warm side and 70s on the cooler, the humidity is kept in the 40s using an adjustable speed case fan i installed in the side (capable of changing the air out in here twice a minute if needed). substrate is straight coco coir about 5-6" deep.

Any and all advice is welcome!

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Welcome!
That's a LOT of light for such a small space and the humidity is too low. Use just one light and see if he seems more comfortable. The fact that he perks up outside is your indication that something is wrong inside.
You'll need to identify what is wrong and correct it while your little one is still healthy. He might decline rapidly.

G-stars

5 Year Member
Southern California
Hello and welcome. What is your basking spot temp? Also is that 10.0 coiled? If so it has been known to cause eye problems.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Agreed! :)

Welcome!
That's a LOT of light for such a small space and the humidity is too low. Use just one light and see if he seems more comfortable. The fact that he perks up outside is your indication that something is wrong inside.
You'll need to identify what is wrong and correct it while your little one is still healthy. He might decline rapidly.
That is a lot of light in a small area, and if they're coils, then it's even more concentrated light on his eyes. Just curious, what's humidity? CHE's can get super toasty, so he may feel too hot, but the temps sound nice.

PenguinGod

5 Year Member
Agreed! :)

That is a lot of light in a small area, and if they're coils, then it's even more concentrated light on his eyes. Just curious, what's humidity? CHE's can get super toasty, so he may feel too hot, but the temps sound nice.

for the first few days, he only had one light in there before he was eating, After I put the second one in he did eat and at least walked around a little bit, but then started doing his sleepy stuff again.

He seems to like it most over by the hear lamp..actually under the heat lamp is the only place he really stays out for awhile without digging.

I have been wondering if the CFL might be bothering his eyes, when i looked it up it seemed like i used to be an issue but they had supposedly fixed it? I did want CFL because it was so convenient for my set up but if he needs a different light ill definitely get it for him!

humidity i keep around the 40s, i saw posts on here where people recommend that, but if a different range is better i can adjust that pretty easily.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
No, they can still bother tort's eyes.
Try turning them off for a day or two. Are is eyes runny or having discharge?
40s is great for an adult russian, and I'll guess that yours is a juvenile? How big is he?
A picture of your setup would be amazing! :D

G-stars

5 Year Member
Southern California
for the first few days, he only had one light in there before he was eating, After I put the second one in he did eat and at least walked around a little bit, but then started doing his sleepy stuff again.

He seems to like it most over by the hear lamp..actually under the heat lamp is the only place he really stays out for awhile without digging.

I have been wondering if the CFL might be bothering his eyes, when i looked it up it seemed like i used to be an issue but they had supposedly fixed it? I did want CFL because it was so convenient for my set up but if he needs a different light ill definitely get it for him!

humidity i keep around the 40s, i saw posts on here where people recommend that, but if a different range is better i can adjust that pretty easily.

One way to find out if it's the bulb is taking it out for a week or two and see if there is any improvement.

PenguinGod

5 Year Member
40s is great for an adult russian, and I'll guess that yours is a juvenile? How big is he?

Ok! I'll try that. here is a link to a couple pics http://imgur.com/a/er4ST

there hasn't been any discharge or swelling, eyes look clear. he is about 4" long

Here are some bonus pics of when hes not dug in (he got ontop of his house himself in the one) so you can see he dosnt look unhealthy, but usually hes digging and sleeping http://imgur.com/a/rayFH

PenguinGod

5 Year Member

I turned off the lights and have just been using the room lights for him and he woke himself up this morning, then ate a bunch! so now i have to figure out what to use for lighting, have any suggestions? As you can see its a pretty enclosed system so id like something i can have down in there so i dont think i want a bulb that emits much heat as it would be right in his face!

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
If you can offer a few hours outside in the sun and have the temps O.K., The lights become less important inside.
(You may have already stated that he can't be outside.)
Once you get this figured out it will all be very easy..And you've already made a lot of progress.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
I turned off the lights and have just been using the room lights for him and he woke himself up this morning, then ate a bunch! so now i have to figure out what to use for lighting, have any suggestions? As you can see its a pretty enclosed system so id like something i can have down in there so i dont think i want a bulb that emits much heat as it would be right in his face!
Hmm, you could get a smaller wattage MVB (heat and UVB) or a tube UVB, which you either need a hood or a another mounting system for.
MVB's are pricey, but a tube and a hood system is also up there. What do you think would be best?