Concerned Owner (dry skin)

Saf04

Okay so my russian tortoise skin seems dry, I know they shed and I see that but I feel like it's something else. His skin is more yellow by his legs closer to his body and on his tail it looks even more like a yellowish white.
He also has the grooved ring on his shell, is this him growing or something to be of concern?
I feed him kale, spinach, romain, collard greens etc. has heat lamp and UVB. By heat lamp around 100 degrees Fahrenheit and away 75-80.
I soak him between 1-3 times a week and add a couple drops of blue stuff that the petsmart sold me when I got him. (Are the drops necessary?).
I do unfortunately keep him in a glass aquarium enclosure 100 gallon. Now that it's nicer out I'm working on building something different for him.
I think I covered everything, I'll post pictures of what I was describing...just remembered I forgot to say I use coco coir for substrate...feedback is greatly appreciated!! You can see most of the groove here and can tell about the lightness of his skin at least on that one cute little leg ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1399333286.192448.jpg

lismar79

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ohio USA
Never heard of drops for water.....what's the humidity in your tank? Adult russians need at least 30%. Your temps might be a little high for a russian & you could be drying him out. (hotter than I keep mine any way...bask is 95 rest of tank ranges 72 to 80...) let's see what the experts say. Good luck!

Saf04

I'm not sure what the humidity is at, but if it did need to increase/decrease how would I go about that?

naturalman91

5 Year Member
Medford Oregon
I'm not sure what the humidity is at, but if it did need to increase/decrease how would I go about that?

you need a digital gauge before even thinking about adding humidity without a accurate gauge you may to high of humidity even 30% humidity isn't hard to get up

M

Maggie Cummings

What a cute face! The grooved ring is simply a growth ring and that's a good thing. Lower your temps to 90 or so, the cool end about 70-75. Russians really like to cool off at night. I've raised numerous tortoises in 100 to 200 gallon aquariums, so don't let the experts hassle you about it. BUT that's really not an ideal habitat, so consider doing something better for him. In the mean time, in a smaller glass tank with those lights you have him on slow-cook, so make sure he has a soaking dish in the tank and you increase your soaking to every other day or so...
to decrease the humidity stop getting it wet...:) But he really does need some humidity...I don't know what the drops are for , but don't believe a pet store employee who's job it is to sell you something, I personally would stop with the drops. It kinda looks to me like the tank is full of old food, take out the old stuff before you add any fresh, and tape some paper on the outside of the tank around the bottom so he can't see out, that will make him more secure and he will stop banging on the glass...

Saf04

Thanks so much! And yeah I really didn't want to listen to the employee but it was when I purchased him and thought I was doing what was best. Looking back on it, it irritates me because I had calcium powder and she said oh no they don't need that and have me hay pellets instead (which he doesn't even eat). And she said that bark was the best substrate... I could go on and on.

naturalman91

5 Year Member
Medford Oregon
Thanks so much! And yeah I really didn't want to listen to the employee but it was when I purchased him and thought I was doing what was best. Looking back on it, it irritates me because I had calcium powder and she said oh no they don't need that and have me hay pellets instead (which he doesn't even eat). And she said that bark was the best substrate... I could go on and on.

petsmart or petco? lol i can't even go into petco anymore i got in trouble for hassling the employees one day when i went in during a enclosure change out and started talking to him about the torts and making some suggestions and he didn't think they were important so i went on to explain why they are important and i got kicked out i was simply explaining that some of the mistakes they make can lead to long term damage or be fatal

Saf04

Petsmart. I didn't want to buy him from there cause I've heard bad things but that's actually why I did cause I felt like I was rescuing him. That's too funny though!! Idk how my guy survived when they basically just fed him those pellets and he doesn't even eat them!

TMK1971

Southern California
I think they are all different as the PetCo by my house is really good with informed employees. Most of them care for multiple animals and seem to be very knowledgeable in their areas.
Good luck with your tortoise...I have nothing to offer as I am learning myself.
Wait...I can say that if it isn't that cold in your house (above 60 degrees) at night, perhaps turning the heat lamps off at night would be a good idea. You could put on timer so it turns off at certain times...perhaps with your lights???
My tort is outside most of the day and then I bring in at night and put in 60 gallon tank. It doesn't have any heat source, just some substrate and a hide....he usually goes into the hide immediately and then in the morning, he is out waiting for me to fly him to his outside dwellings.

Saf04

Um, no he won't. What a thing to say.

60% is a bit on the high side for an adult Russian...30-50% is what you should aim for. It's not necessarily dangerous or anything though. Is there a top to his tank?
Good thing I didn't read that ignorant persons comment before I saw this too. And yes there's a top on half of it, should I remove it then?

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
Play with lid position until its where u need it. Once you get into a care pattern it will be easier:)

ApartmentTortoise

5 Year Member
Wow! So glad you posted this thread. I have a lot of the very same questions you do, even though I've had my little guy for longer. Thanks!

Draekonic

You need to be careful with the spinach, it has lots of oxalis acid in it. It will be fine in small amounts, but too much won't be good for your tortoise...

Saf04

Since I've made the changes and the temps and humidity are correct he's been acting different, idk if it's cause he's more comfortable now, but his behavior seems like now he isn't comfortable.
He hasn't eaten or at least eaten very little in the past week and he's either been very active walking around/digging or completely inactive staying buried.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
No he will die

Ignore this ( something I don't say often). The yellow skin could also be normal skin color, a few russians are considered like high yellow color.