Concrete tortoise hide. Check it out!

Status
Not open for further replies.

DesertGrandma

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
Excellent work!! It is functional and very attractive too. If it wasn't so heavy I would ask you to make one for me and ship it. Nice instructions for DIY'ers.

trentlee111

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Louisiana
Did you by any chance post anything on how you made your enclosure? It looks awesome and something I'd like to do at my new home until my tortoise grows out of it.

fgately

5 Year Member
Trentlee, I did post the finished enclosure, but not the instructions. I thought about several way to build it, and decided to use redwood, concrete, and galvanized wire. I needed mine to be very secure because we just adopted two dogs, we have coyotes in our area, and Russian Torts are escape artists. I wanted it to be permanent as well. The concrete footings go down about 12 inches below ground.

I am happy with what I have and had fun building it. If I could build it all over again, I would probably go and buy a cheap dog kennel from Lowes, and then mount it onto a concrete footing. Dig the trench, place the concrete supports, pour the concrete, let it cure for a few days, and then install the kennel on the footing. You would have to mount some wood or something to the sides to keep the torts secured from the chain link fence spaces, but this method is probably easier and cheaper. The materials start adding up when you consider all of the concrete, wood, wire, simpson ties, hinges, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.