Confirmation of ID please

Status
Not open for further replies.

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
NJ
imagejpeg952[3].JPGimagejpeg952.jpgA friend of mine lives in Buffalo, NY. Sent me these pics asking if the turtles should be hibernating already. My boxies are but this poor thing is missing both front legs and its tail. He figures racoons got to it. I think it is a wood turtle. Opinions? Suggestions?

Last edited by a moderator:

Tortoise

10 Year Member!
Canada
jlyoncc1 said:
A friend of mine lives in Buffalo, NY. Sent me these pics asking if the turtles should be hibernating already. My boxies are but this poor thing is missing both front legs and its tail. He figures racoons got to it. I think it is a wood turtle. Opinions? Suggestions?

I wouldn't be hibernating any animals that have had injuries like that. Not sure how else to advise you.
Are the injuries recent?
How are they managing?Eating etc.
Did they get veterinary treatment?
Poor things
Sorry for all of the questions but it sounds like they have had a rough experience
Is your friend planning on keeping them?

M

Maggie Cummings

No matter what species it is, if the 'coons ate his legs and tail this year he should not be hibernated...IMHO

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
NJ
Not going to hibernate him. He will be bringing him to me. More or less wondering if you guys agree in my thinking that it is a wood turtle. He said the wounds are healed. So I just have to set up an enclosure which is no biggie and have it ready. He just found it today so I don't know how it is eating. But, seeing that it is healed already it apparently has made it this far! Poor thing scootin around on its shell!

Tortoise

10 Year Member!
Canada
jlyoncc1 said:
Not going to hibernate him. He will be bringing him to me. More or less wondering if you guys agree in my thinking that it is a wood turtle. He said the wounds are healed. So I just have to set up an enclosure which is no biggie and have it ready. He just found it today so I don't know how it is eating. But, seeing that it is healed already it apparently has made it this far! Poor thing scootin around on its shell!

You know wheels can be fitted to shells, it has been done quite a bit on tortoises. I'm sure there must be folks on here that know more about that-its amazing what they can adapt to. I hadn't realised your friend had just found this-sorry not good at Id-ing turtles/ torts.
I'm sure a good exotics vet could advise too on the wheels etc to help him along.
What survivors they are!!

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
From the pictures it looks like a red ear slider, can you get some head shots?

zesty_17

5 Year Member
Florida
yes. its a wood turtle, i am thinking female. Glad you are taking her, looks like she's had a hard life. i love wood turtles, they are so smart! we have a male at the zoo named woody... because well, um, he is really aggressive for the ladies, and doesn't care at all about species. We finally had to separate him from the large turtle display because he kept harassing a couple of RES.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
You sure can adhere little casters to the shell....an epoxy will work fine...that is one tuff little scooter for sure....:D

Tortoise

10 Year Member!
Canada

fbsmith3

5 Year Member
Worcester, MA
Please when you get him adjusted take more pictures. He/she might even benefit from a babyfood soak. Be careful, might be carrying parasites

Good luck

zesty_17

5 Year Member
Florida
ascott said:
You sure can adhere little casters to the shell....an epoxy will work fine...that is one tuff little scooter for sure....:D

just make sure the epoxy isn't covering the growth area between the scutes...

harris

10 Year Member!
Ohio
It is indeed a male NA Wood, and an old timer at that. If your friend took it from the wild, he needs to return him from where he claimed it. It is not unatural to still see a Wood out this time of year. They are one of the most hardiest turtles with an exceptional tolerance for cold. They are often seen basking in the early Spring, on top of snow.

Just to ease everyone's mind that this turtle is incapable of hibernating on it's own. I had a male Spotted Turtle almost identical with this fella's handicap. He was missing both of his front legs. He was was with a group that was kept outdoors year round for 7 1/2 yrs before I sold the group. He was actually the most dominant, fiesty one of the group.

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Amish Country
Sure, wheels will work, if the habitat is linoleum, Otherwise, mud, leaves, dirt, rocks, make wheels impractical. If the injuries are healed, it has already survived the encounter. As long as he eats, should be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.