Conflicting and Confusing

char-lee

Location (City and/or State)
reno nv
I am really sorry to hear you have decided to do this. :( I hope you reconsider. Like with everything there is more then one "right" way to take care of our tortoises. We are also very emotional, when it comes to the tortoises and turtles and add in how hard it is to convey feelings in here with just the use of the written word, it just adds up to things not coming off like we would like them to or mean them to. Think of it as any other group, there are always folks who you just don't like or can't deal with. Look for the ones who make you feel welcome and freely offer advise in a way you can take it... just as you should be giving advise the same way. I too get frustrated in here at times with attitudes. At those times I take a short break or stay away from threads/certain people. This might work for you, too.
Wow one of the first people I've found to actually be kind on here. Thank you so much. Some of the people on here are flat out bullies with nothing better to do. I did notice a lot of memebers are only like 13-14 I just don't think this attitude most have is appropriate for kids trying to learn about their new life long friends, or adults for that matter. I am extremely upset with this site right now.

AmRoKo

5 Year Member
Florida
Good job on making a new member feel very welcome everyone, really truly bravo *slow hand clap*.

Just try to ignore the ones that bother you try not to let them get to you, some here (like many interweb forums) just let their emotions get the better of them and then in turn treat others like doodoo. There is a lot of really good info here and good tort keepers, most realize that their isn't a perfect way and then like any place with many individuals with differing opinions there will always be those among the bunch who believe their word is final and any who try to argue their word is shunned. Your tort is beautiful by the way and it sounds like you have an awesome vet. :)

char-lee

reno nv
Good job on making a new member feel very welcome everyone, really truly bravo *slow hand clap*.

Just try to ignore the ones that bother you try not to let them get to you, some here (like many interweb forums) just let their emotions get the better of them and then in turn treat others like doodoo. There is a lot of really good info here and good tort keepers, most realize that their isn't a perfect way and then like any place with many individuals with differing opinions there will always be those among the bunch who believe their word is final and any who try to argue their word is shunned. Your tort is beautiful by the way and it sounds like you have an awesome vet. :)
She is really awesome :) I was lucky to find her! Our little city is greatful for her. And thank you for being kind I was starting to worry everyone on here was that way.

AmRoKo

5 Year Member
Florida
Yeah don't worry about it there are actually a lot of really nice people here it's just that the particularly "coarse" individuals are the loudest haha. :p

Last edited:

NicoleB26

5 Year Member
Rome, OH
Welcome! Your tortoise is beautiful. :). You are obviously a proud owner and It looks like you are doing a good job with her. Stick around and give the forum a chance just like at school or work there all different personalities... That's just life. You will learn a lot here, I know I have. Plus there are always tort pics!! And when your excited about something silly your tort does or a cute pic u snapped chances are others here will share your excitement.

char-lee

reno nv
Welcome! Your tortoise is beautiful. :). You are obviously a proud owner and It looks like you are doing a good job with her. Stick around and give the forum a chance just like at school or work there all different personalities... That's just life. You will learn a lot here, I know I have. Plus there are always tort pics!! And when your excited about something silly your tort does or a cute pic u snapped chances are others here will share your excitement.
Thank you :)

RuthJanice

5 Year Member
Southern Calif
Char-lee your tort is very cute. Please stick around -- there is so much information on this forum - I have never searched for any problem that I could not find an answer or some type of thread regarding. Differences make the world go round - but everyone's love for their torts gives everyone here something in common. :<3::tort::)

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
First, there is no "right way". The optimal way is always changing, 'cause collectivly the knowledge sorta snowballs over time. So what was even a 'right way' a year ago, may now be bettered. The internet tends to make many people sound harsh, the written word and all. Best to consider that you yourself project more emotion onto what is written than the author.

I've been involved with captive chelonians since I was 4 yrs old, and now about 50 years later I am always finding a more optimal way. Points of view from others more experinced and less experinced give me a refernce other than my own, and help me find that ever more optimal way. We can, and often do, even find a more optimal way than what the animals do for themself in the wild (with a few exceptions, like elephatnts, killer whales, pelagic animals). By eliminating stressors and providing good things in abundance we often end up with super animals in a way.

You will know for yourself when you start to sort out why someting could better, and apply it with success. The failures are learning moments too. I find people are often the loudest when they speak from their own failures than from their successes. Nobody really wants to hear about a failure they feel they could have prevented by speaking out proactively, even if aggressively proactive.

Have fun with your pet, enjoy the ever more optimal things you can do.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I find people are often the loudest when they speak from their own failures than from their successes. Nobody really wants to hear about a failure they feel they could have prevented by speaking out proactively, even if aggressively proactive.

I liked your whole post Will, but the above quoted sentences spell out my point of view very well. Sometimes I think I am too pushy, but its motivated by not wanting to see someone else make the mistakes I have already made. If I have to be pushy and possibly offend someone in order to save their animal from a fate one of my previous animals went through, I'm willing to push. For me, its figuring out how far is far enough, and how far is too much.

As many posters have mentioned, ALL of this is done with the decidedly good intentions of helping tortoises live better healthier lives.

Char-lee, I think you are reading way too much emotion into things. I understand some people are more "sensitive" than others, but really, try to just take people's statements at face value without assuming so much about intent. As nearly everyone has said, there are a lot of good people here and a lot of good advice to be had. Mean spiritedness or insulting comments or bullying will not be tolerated by the MEMBERSHIP here, much less the moderator team.

I hope we can all move on to talking about tortoises again.

char-lee

reno nv
I liked your whole post Will, but the above quoted sentences spell out my point of view very well. Sometimes I think I am too pushy, but its motivated by not wanting to see someone else make the mistakes I have already made. If I have to be pushy and possibly offend someone in order to save their animal from a fate one of my previous animals went through, I'm willing to push. For me, its figuring out how far is far enough, and how far is too much.

As many posters have mentioned, ALL of this is done with the decidedly good intentions of helping tortoises live better healthier lives.

Char-lee, I think you are reading way too much emotion into things. I understand some people are more "sensitive" than others, but really, try to just take people's statements at face value without assuming so much about intent. As nearly everyone has said, there are a lot of good people here and a lot of good advice to be had. Mean spiritedness or insulting comments or bullying will not be tolerated by the MEMBERSHIP here, much less the moderator team.

I hope we can all move on to talking about tortoises again.
I think we all have moved on but thank you though as another stated we are all human and have those days and are all different and take things differently.