conflicting ideas on feeding Russians

Nesha

Yvonne, I was wondering if you could help me. There has been so much conflicting information about what to feed a Russian Tortoise on the internet. To the point that isn't stressful. I've been a part of this FB group, which it has helped a lot, but again one says the foods you buy in the grocery are bad and that they need to be on a strict weed diet. I cannot keep a big supply of weeds and my tort have ate all the dandelions. I give her a variety but apparently, "that isn't good enough." Even the TTT table won't be specific, I emailed them and this is what they said, "No - we do not provide a basic “what to feed” list because it really is too simplistic and can be highly misleading". I am planning on next year to get some flowers and weeds that she can eat, it's iffy if some of them will survive the winter months. I can't have my yard invested with weeds or I will be fined by the city. Am I doing things wrong here? Will she be ok if majority of her diet consist of grocery store produce?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I think that belonging to different groups is a good way to gain a whole bunch of knowledge, however, as you have seen, no two groups think alike. I really like THIS group. We have some very experienced members here who have done their own experimenting and research. Our care sheet that pinned at the top of the Russian tortoise section lists a whole bunch of different food items for you to choose from. You don't have to use them all, but don't get in a rut and use the same ones over and over. Choose two or three this week, then two or three different ones next week, etc.

You don't have to rely on weeds. There are edible plants on the list too, plants that I'm sure your city fathers would approve of. For instance, Hosta is a very pretty and edible plant. Grape leaves and mulberry leaves are also good food items.

Take a look at the list I mentioned and see if you can find some that would satisfy your 'eye pleasing' city fathers.

WillTort2

5 Year Member
You can build a raised flower/weed box in your back yard that will shelter your growing weeds from the gov't inspector that rides around writing up the residents for grass/weed violations. They will usually be unwilling to get out of their vehicles to inspect what they can't easily see.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Further, its not a "weed" if you are planting and growing it on purpose... I cannot imagine you being fined for growing some Testudo seed mix or plantain weeds in a raised planter box.

Weeds, leaves and flowers are best. If you must use grocery store foods favor endive and escarole, but use lots of variety. You can improve the store bought stuff by mixing in some soaked Mazuri or ZooMed Grassland pellets to add fiber and nutrition. Here is a list of suggestions:
Mulberry leaves
Grape vine leaves
Hibiscus leaves
African hibiscus leaves
Blue hibiscus leaves
Rose of Sharon leaves
Rose leaves
Geraniums
Gazanias
Lavatera
Pansies
Petunias
Hostas
Honeysuckle
Cape honeysuckle
Leaves and blooms from any squash plant, like pumpkin, cucumber, summer squash, etc...
Young spineless opuntia cactus pads

Weeds:
There are soooooooo many...
Dandelion
Mallow
Filaree
Smooth Sow thistle
Prickly Sow thistle
Milk thistle
Goat head weed
Cats ear
Nettles