Conflicting vet opinion on whether tortoise is male or female

plutoparty

Location (City and/or State)
San Diego, CA
Hi,

Just got back from a vet visit for my newly adopted tortoise. This vet is convinced that "Hank" is female.... but the vet at the animal shelter that I adopted from thought it was a mature male tort. If Hank is female, the vet thinks they would be fairly young, around 5 years old, since shell size is only around 5 inches or so. From charts and pictures provided online I believe Hank is male, as the cloaca is slit shaped and the tail is carried to the side when walking. I don't mind either way, but would like to know for sure :)

So, is Hank a juvenile female or a mature male tortoise? Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_5598 Large.jpeg
    IMG_5598 Large.jpeg
    245.1 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_5600 Large.jpeg
    IMG_5600 Large.jpeg
    181.7 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_5601 Large.jpeg
    IMG_5601 Large.jpeg
    207.1 KB · Views: 16

plutoparty

San Diego, CA
Yikes. What’s the back story behind that shell damage?
Hank was originally found as a stray and brought into my local animal shelter, which is where I adopted him from. The vets think it's previous predator bite damage :( with a possible mix of poor husbandry and bad diet. I made a previous post when I adopted him -- the good news is that the health check he had today at the vet went well and he is in good health. The shell damage will be mostly permanent though.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Your vet has only seen the species of tortoise where the males have a concave plastron (bottom shell). This is a russian tortoise. The males of this species have a flat plastron, just like the females. Your new tortoise is definitely a male. I'm 100% sure.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Hank was originally found as a stray and brought into my local animal shelter, which is where I adopted him from. The vets think it's previous predator bite damage :( with a possible mix of poor husbandry and bad diet. I made a previous post when I adopted him -- the good news is that the health check he had today at the vet went well and he is in good health. The shell damage will be mostly permanent though.
I think a RUSSIAN tortoise always wear their battle scars well.
He looks like a nice, scrappy old man.
A proper RUSSIAN

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Your vet has only seen the species of tortoise where the males have a concave plastron (bottom shell). This is a russian tortoise. The males of this species have a flat plastron, just like the females. Your new tortoise is definitely a male. I'm 100% sure.
That's what I was thinking... Yeah! I did an educated guess and guessed correctly for once 😊

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi,

Just got back from a vet visit for my newly adopted tortoise. This vet is convinced that "Hank" is female.... but the vet at the animal shelter that I adopted from thought it was a mature male tort. If Hank is female, the vet thinks they would be fairly young, around 5 years old, since shell size is only around 5 inches or so. From charts and pictures provided online I believe Hank is male, as the cloaca is slit shaped and the tail is carried to the side when walking. I don't mind either way, but would like to know for sure :)

So, is Hank a juvenile female or a mature male tortoise? Thanks!
As you've now seen first hand, vets don't know tortoises.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
That's what I was thinking... Yeah! I did an educated guess and guessed correctly for once 😊
But the second picture shows a short fat tail that makes me do a second guess.🙃 Sapphire's tail is longer and more to the side so...

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
My guess is male too but when Hank is ready, he will proudly show you if he's definitely a male!!

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Cathie G, I think that is part of the prob, that He/she has not "exposed" them selves yet. If indeed it had flashed this would be less of a conversation.
But he'll know when he see it!o_O
Well... I was a wondering just what just happened when he got confirmation 👀😁