Confused about humidity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

swimqt

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Northern California
From all my reading I've gathered that humidity in Sulcata enclosures shouldnt be very high because they come from a dry climate. I also read on several websites thaf if humidity is too high, they can contract respiratory infections. But after reading this forum, it seems high humidity is good and necessary to prevent pyramiding. Which one is correct? Im currently working on setting up an outdoor enclosure and want to get this straight. Thanks!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
What we're talking about here on the forum is humidity for baby tortoises. Your tortoise is big enough to be outside, and the issue of humidity isn't one to concern yourself about anymore.

What you've read and what is all over the internet, is old. What we're talking about here is new stuff. First brought to our attention by the Fife brothers in Arizona (they raise leopards and sulcatas) and expanded upon by Tom. He has an experiment going on right now with a batch of this year's baby sulcatas...trying to raise them with no pyramiding using the "spray them until they drip" method.

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
At what age is a baby sulcata considered old enough for an outdoor pen? My little one is a year old now. I am thinking that an outdoor pen for the summer would be good for exercise, sunlight, and perhaps diet (more grasses). The drawback that I can see is the dry California summer might not be good for shell development.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I put my babies out every day from the time they are born, as long as the weather is warm enough. I usually leave them out in the dry air for an hour or two, and then back into their humid enclosures after a soak.

Once a sulcata is around 6-8" the pattern (smooth or pyramided) is supposed to be established (so I've heard) and the humidity doesn't matter anymore.

swimqt

5 Year Member
Northern California
OK...that makes sense. I thought I had to add another humidity issue to my heating issue. Thank you very much!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I usually put mine outside full time with a heated shed of some sort once they are around a foot long or so. Prior to that they get outdoor excursions whenever the weather permits.

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
Thanks Tom. I do get my baby out every day that I can. These have been exercise periods of 20 min. to an hour. Then it is back to the indoor enclosure, and humidity. I just keep doing what I have been doing until he gets a little bigger. Right now he is about 3.5 inches and just over 100 grams.

Status
Not open for further replies.