Confused on Golden Greeks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reptiking94

5 Year Member
Hi, Im very intrested in getting a tortoise as a pet and Ive done alot of research on the red foot tortoise but something about the greeks I like, Ive done some research and discovered all the different types of Greeks, now I am looking to get a golden greek or a normal type greek and was wondering since Golden Greeks originate from the middle east how does there housing, substrate, and diet differ from the Normal Greeks, sorry if it seems like a dumb question I just want to make sure I could care for my tortoise to the fullest extent.
Thanks in advance, Reptiking94

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
USA
There are a few differences between the 2, namely the temperatures that they like. "Normal" Greeks, Testudo graeca ibera, can handle a wide range in temperatures (50F to 95F) with no problems. It's also possible to hibernate T.g.ibera.
"Golden" Greeks, Testudo graeca terrestris, can't handle a wide range in temperatures. They like it warm, 65F and up at night, 75F to 100F during the day. They get very stressed at temperatures under 60F and are prone to respiratory infections when that happens. They don't hibernate.
If I was to recommend a Greek tortoise for a beginner, it would have to be a "Normal" Greek, Testudo graeca ibera.

Danny

Reptiking94

5 Year Member
Okay, so the only difference is the temps right, is there any substrate difference?

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
No, no difference in substrates. Just that "Goldens" don't like a damp substrate.

Danny

Reptiking94

5 Year Member
Okay thank you very much, now to convince my parents to let me have one lol

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Reptiking94 do your research first. Make sure their is a Vet that knows and specializes in tortoises in your area one that knows Greeks is best. Read, Read, Read everything you can on Greeks. There are lots and lots of sites and a lot of conflicting information out there. Ask questions. We will be happy to answer them. Look for an older or adult Greek first. They are much more forgiving in their care. Hatchlings Not. You can lose a hatchling to illness before you even know it is ill.
I praise you for doing research thus far but you have a long way to go. I know I am still learning and I have had Torts for quite a while and am now raising greeks. Keep up the good work. And remember they are a lifetime commitment.

Status
Not open for further replies.