Confusion with similar names PLEASE READ!

Status
Not open for further replies.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Tropical South Texas
Hello all,
It has been brought to my attention that www.tortoiseshack.com has a bad costumer, product and or animal husbandry etc... I don't know because I had not known they were around until I recently had some messages or spots that were oriented towards myself. I am the director of G.R.E.E.N (global repopulation of endangered exotics non-profit) the website name is tortshack.com. Unfortunately it's very similar to tortoiseshack.com which has a bad wrap. I am in NO WAY associated with that company, nor do I sell sick or malnourished animals. In fact 90% of anything produced from my collection is kept for conservation purposes.

So everyone here that has heard about this or thought that I'm tortoiseshack.com I am not. You can visit my website and theirs to clearly see the difference in how we treat our animals compared to theirs.

Thank you all for reading this and I look forward to still helping anyone out on the forum that I can with whatever knowledge and experience I have gained handling tortoises for these past 10-12 years.

Thanks,
Kelly Hull
Director of green and proud member of TFO

I would also like to thank the people that brought this to my attention. I really appreciate that, I would of never known of this mid-association would have been their for those people bringing it to my attention. Thanks again.

Kelly

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I am sorta surprised it never came up in any searches you did, before you decided on a name for yourself. At this point in time, would you ever consider changing your name, because you know the wide world will no doubt always see you as them. I guess it would fall under guilt by association, even if only a name association, which is bad but human.

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
Sucks that you have to defend yourself like that, with a quick search online it's very easy to see that tortshack and tortoiseshack are not the same thing.

I for one am happy that you are here to share your knowledge with us..

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Thanks. It does suck. I got the website name around 8 years ago so they pretty much stole ruined it. I have globalrepop.org I think I will work on swapping that over. And maybe have to change my name on here too.

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
So you had your name first? That really makes it suck. You know, instead of having a rank under your name, you could got with a personalized one like: I am not tortoiseshack.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
If it were me in that situation, I would just change my name. If tortoiseshack.com has a bad reputation and your name is so similar, you are going to have a difficult time trying to show everyone that you are not associated with tortoiseshack.

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
I also think a name change will be easier than fighting to show that you are not associated with tortoiseshack.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Yeah I agree. This sucks. So I have to ask josh to do it for me? Or do I have to open a new account?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Well Kelly, I am glad you are here. :) Bummer about the name confusion, but I think we are all getting to know you. Looking forward to learning from your experience.

Your organization sounds pretty neat. I'd love to know more about it and your accomplishments with it. I'll check out your site.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Thanks everyone. I will pm josh to get this squared away. The site has been kinda forgotten but I'm currently working on text for updating it. Especially the articles section. My goal is to get as much useful information to new tort owners as possible. It's hard keeping up with pet stores and people that misinform new owners how to take care of even a simple sulcata species. I would hope everyone here would give there input when I get to the care sheets of different torts so it doesn't sound too biased by me solely being the author. Everyone has totally different experiences with numerous species. Maybe I should come up with some sort of survey to put out there. Again thanks to everyone for understanding this confusion. I am definitely not those bad people. They just have a very similar name.

DixieParadise

5 Year Member
Georgetown, TX
Kelly,
Thanks for all of your input today. Having been a business person and have someone take or use your name is not very much fun, especially when they are not putting out the same good product you are. Mayber you can just put TX in front of your name and be the TXTortShack...

Good luck to you and your EMYS look wonderful.

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Neal said:
If it were me in that situation, I would just change my name. If tortoiseshack.com has a bad reputation and your name is so similar, you are going to have a difficult time trying to show everyone that you are not associated with tortoiseshack.

Sadly that's so true. I know you changed your user name in here, but are you also changing your name for other uses?

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
yes as soon as i have enough text to update the website it will be changed as well. NO MORE tortshack for me.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Yes it is a bummer when similar names can ruin a good person's rep.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
yeah it really is. i never knew they had that web-site or took that name. im glad im on here now and it was brought to my attention so i could address this issue. thanks everyone for letting me know and helping me out.

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Actually is good you found this out sooner then later. Gives you less time wasted on creating a known public name, when your going to end up dropping it. Still just sad. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.