Connecting two wooden enclosures

McKell

Location (City and/or State)
Missouri
My tortoise (5 months old) is currently in a wooden enclosure, so far it’s been great for keeping the correct temps and humidity along with a humid hide option. However I planned on moving him outdoors when the lease is up on my studio apartment but due to some life circumstances he has to stay inside a bit longer so I want to add another enclosure to give him more space and more of the benefits of being outside. My plan is to fill it with established (pesticide free) edible plants and connect it to my current enclosure with a climbing wall which I think he will love!! Based on the enclosure I have what’s the best way to do this? I was going to make a slanted wall at the end of his current enclosure leading up to a wooden box open on each end connecting the tops of the two enclosures like a tunnel if that makes sense. Any better ideas or things to look out for. Anyone done something similar?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 21

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
What species are we talking about? Size and age?

McKell

Missouri
He just turned 5 months old, he’s a marginated (testudo marginita) and fairly small but I think normal for his age.

Attachments

• 9477916C-EA91-4FA5-AB56-A11A773B4673.jpeg
    9477916C-EA91-4FA5-AB56-A11A773B4673.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 10

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
He just turned 5 months old, he’s a marginated (testudo marginita) and fairly small but I think normal for his age.
Oh that's cool.

I'd remove the moss. It doesn't do anything, they all try to eat it, and it can cause an impaction.

As for adding another box, I'd butt them up against each other in an "L" shape and use a large hole saw to make a portal.

DJ Kirk

Guelph, Ontario, Canada
Personally I'd put on a 2nd floor with a nice ramp perhaps with side glass fully enclosed and make it really humid apart from the rest. Many people do that with tortoise tables