Conservationists sound alarm over Madagascar's Radiated Tortoise

Status
Not open for further replies.

TortieLuver

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
Oh, that's terrible. It's hard to imagine people doing that!

tortoises101

5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
There needs to be more reinforced protection and action from conservationists throughout Madagascar.

Saloli

5 Year Member
middle river
read a book called the last tortoise i can't remember who wrote it but i remember that radiated tortoises were the topic of part of the book

cueboy007

5 Year Member
Ontario
Smuggling into pet market is bad, but consumption as food is the WORST. Madagascar is next to the ocean, why don't they go fish?!

Speedy Gonzales

5 Year Member
Only one thing has come to mind "The Dodo" when is man going to learn from his misgivings!

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Many of our favorite tortoises are used as meat locally- Red-foots and Yellow-foots suffer from this quite a bit, even for people who live near rivers.

When you combine a lack of respect for the animals with poverty, desperation, etc. as in Madagascar, it is a bad mix.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Madkins007 said:
Many of our favorite tortoises are used as meat locally- Red-foots and Yellow-foots suffer from this quite a bit, even for people who live near rivers.

When you combine a lack of respect for the animals with poverty, desperation, etc. as in Madagascar, it is a bad mix.

Very true. Not sure how much of a factor it is from reading this story, but I'm sure culture plays a part as well. The people that eat these tortoises might not understand why that would make us upset.

John

5 Year Member
I wonder if the people on cow forum dislike me eating steak?

Status
Not open for further replies.