Considering a tortoise

Status
Not open for further replies.

DazyDaizee

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I'm considering getting a tortoise sometime in the future and I have a few questions. From what I've read, Russians seem to be one of the most recommended to keep as pets.
-Are they considered best for first time tortoise owners?

-I live in Massachusetts, and while I could provide outdoor access nearly every day in the spring and summer, I would have to keep the tortoise indoors in the winter- do they tend to do okay with UV bulbs and heat lamps in the winter?

-I would like to allow the tortoise out of it's pen indoors when I'm home to watch it, can this be harmful to their health if they're away from their lighting and heat lamps?

-I don't agree with buying a wild caught animal and I'm very nervous about shipping- are there tortoise breeders around? If so, any links to a directory would be great.

-Any differences with male vs female? I know I've read about female turtles and other reptiles becoming egg bound, can this happen with tortoises?

Any other tips that may help would be great. I plan to research much more than I already have before actually getting a tortoise, I just was hoping for some input from other owners to help me figure out if this would be a good idea for me.
Thanks

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Inland Empire, CA
I want to welcome you to the forum and commend you for doing your research prior to getting a tort. I am not a Russian owner but have heard they make wonderful pets for first time tort owners. I will at this time defer to the Russian owners to provide more information to you.

brummytort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Hi there,

I have 5 Russians, 3 adult females, 1 adult male and 1 unsexed juvenile. All are totally unique and have their own different personalities! I have a quiet, relaxed lady yet I have another who likes to trample all over the other tortoises! My male is really chilled whilst Ive heard of other males being very aggressive. Female Russians (as with all female tortoises) can become egg bound if you dont give her the right conditions to lay in, if however it did happen, then there are treatments.
Its great that you can keep a tortoise outside during the spring/summer months, however over the Winter rather than keep them inside you should really consider hibernating them although to answer your question then yes thay could be kept under Uv and heat lamps.
Its not a good idea to let your tortoise wonder around your home - there are way too many things that could harm it and stress it out best to give it an environment as close to nature as possible.

I would say Russians are easy to care for however I would also say that they do take up lots of time, I spend hours sitting and watching their antics, cleaning their enclosure, weighing them, bathing them, weed picking, the list goes on!...

DazyDaizee

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Thanks for the replies.
I am okay with a high maintenance pet. Currently I have ferrets, rats, a rabbit, a patagonian cavy, a dog, and a guinea pig, so I'm good at juggling tasks and taking care of demanding animals. I plan to wait to get a tortoise until I move to a bigger place or have fewer pets, but I want to start my research now so I'll feel more comfortable when the time is right.

I have been looking into homemade enclosures and will have to plan out what I'd like to build. I'm interested in planting edible plants in the enclosure as well- has anyone done this? Do they tend to uproot them or do they do well with them?

Also, where did everyone get their tortoises from? This is one of my concerns, I'd prefer a tortoise bred in captivity, and I'm concerned about purchasing from a pet store for fear of getting an unhealthy animal.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Mine are Greeks close to the same size as a Russian, I tried planting in my enclosure I found placing plants that are in Pots better as they are less likely to be trampled and uprooted and if they are not doing well they can be changed out easily. Of course my outside pens have things just planted in them. Make sure you have a uva light for the plants as well as a uvb for your tort.
I purchased mine at a Reptile Pet shop in my area they were adults and I am sure WC. A lot of adult Torts are WC. They also have Trade shows that sell torts by breeders. Or Breeders on our forum or the net if you want CB.

DazyDaizee

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Crazy1, would you recommend Greeks over Russians for a first time owner?
My main concern is how hardy they are. My biggest concern with a tort is illness. Years ago I had a very young, very small Egyptian tortoise who was ill when I got him and after hundreds of dollars in vet visits over quite a few months he passed away. I did everything possible and he just didn't make it. Since that incident I've been terrified about illness. I love that tortoises have such a long lifespan and want to make sure I know enough and acquire a healthy enough animal that he will live a very long life.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
:) After years of having several types of tortoises, I have really come to enjoy my Russians a great deal. For me, if your wanting a small tort, they just can't be beat for personality and hardiness. I currently have ten and may soon be taking in another group of five.

I live in Nebraska, so they get outside living during the warm months, but during the winter they all remain active inside. I have hibernated sevral species in the past, but have allowed the Russians to decide if they wanted hibernation. Only one female do any true slowing down and even she never slowed enough to hibernate. Hibernation is one of those things where there are pro and cons to doing it.

Like with all torts your going to have all sorts of personalilty types. Each one is like unwrapping a wonderful gift that keeps growing, changing, and bringing smiles to your face.

There are lots of good Russian breeders around which is one of the wonderful thing about them. You pay a littlemore, but it's well worth it for the better quality animal your getting (especially health) and the knowledge of things like age and previous care.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
DazyDaizee said:
Crazy1, would you recommend Greeks over Russians for a first time owner?
My main concern is how hardy they are. My biggest concern with a tort is illness. ....... Since that incident I've been terrified about illness. I love that tortoises have such a long lifespan and want to make sure I know enough and acquire a healthy enough animal that he will live a very long life.

DazyDaizee, before my Greeks I had aquatic turtles (RES's and soft shells) and an adult DT. I fell in love with my adult pair in a Reptile store. I knew they were WC but after many trips just had to have them. Since I have gotten them I find they are no more trouble than well, any tort should be.
All that being said I really have not had a Russian long enough to evaluate the difference in ease of care or hardiness. Regardless of type of tort one get, you do your best to give it what it needs, duplicate its habitat, etc. and you may still have a tort that does not thrive. Buying from a reputable breeder IMO definitely increases the probability you will get a healthy tort. But nothing can guarantee a tort will stay healthy. Hatchlings I feel take more care and are more vulnerable than older torts. The best I feel anyone can do for their tort is to be informed. Like you doing your research first, asking questions, (ease of care, habitat needs, vet costs, Do I have a good reptile vet that treats Torts close by etc) and Getting answers to those questions.

But from what I have read and the people who own Russians say they are a hardy lot. As Jacqui so eloquently said you can have all sorts of personality types even within a species. The Russian I fostered for a short time was friendly and had a great personality. My two Greeks on the other hand took 2 years to stop ducking in their shells when I came near.

Hopefully more people who own Greeks and Russians will add their thoughts also.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I agree with one point Crazy touched on and that is age. I think it's far easier to have an adult or teenage tort then a hatchling. The hatchlings are so cute and irresistable, but have a lot more things to deal with.

I also think that care for everyone of them is just about equal. You just have to do more fine tuning with some species and some individuals more than others. Still the basics are very much the same.

Reaserch and actually if you can, get to spend time around some of the different species. Chances are in the end, there will be one animal or maybe a species that just catches your eye and your heart.

I know years ago when my friend was getting into Russians I thought they were sorta ugly dumpy torts. Since then I have come to really enjoy them for the special guys they are.

DazyDaizee

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Thanks so much for everyone's help. I agree that I'd rather have an adult than a hatchling. They are definitely more adorable, but they do seem much more fragile. I will continue to research and I'll start looking into breeders in the area as well. Any websites with breeder directories that people trust would help, too, if anyone knows of any.
Thanks!

DazyDaizee

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
So I've been researching and have a few questions on lighting. I know there are UVA and UVB lights. I've read that Russian tortoises need UVB, but what about UVA?

Also I've been checking out the RussianTortoises.org site and they recommend Active UVheat T-rex bulbs or Capture the Sun bulbs as 100watt flood lights, they say an additional heat lamp may be necessary to reach proper temps. I guess I'm wondering how much heat these others usually put off. Question being if they put off a lot, is it okay to leave this bulb at just the warm end of the enclosure so as not to mess up the gradient heat...

Thanks guys

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
UVA is the light plants need for growth. The active uv heat T-rex bulb I believe is the MVB (mercury vapor bulb) this is a full spectrum bulb and puts out quite a bit of heat. I have mine (t-Rex 100 watt flood) placed on the warm side and I have a IR (Infrared) bulb set up on a thermostat as my house sometimes get rather cold and drafty. If the temp drops it kicks on to warm things up a bit. Here is a site with the stats on these type bulbs. http://www.uvguide.co.uk/mercuryvapourlamps.htm

Status
Not open for further replies.