Considering rehoming my russian.

Status
Not open for further replies.

NicoleB26

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Rome, OH
I am thinking about rehoming my Russian tortoise. I have had him for about 5 years. He is from Petland, wild caught I am sure. He does not get along with other torts (like most Russians lol). He tolerates me but has never really warmed up to me. I live in Ohio. He loves being outside in the summer, he will explore nonstop for hours. If someone in a warmer climate is interested I could look into shipping him. I am not asking a fee, I just ask that anyone interested have adequate knowledge, space and resources to care for him properly. Thanks!

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
yeah I know I'm just kind of desperate,I've been looking for a tortoise for a few months now and then I found this website and I'm just really excited!
If you are looking specifically for a Russian, they are pretty easy to find. Reptile rescue's, craigslist, local pet stores, and there are many people here that are looking to rehome there Russian and there are many breeders listed here on the forum as well as reliable places to purchase them. But you have definitely found the right place to learn how to care for whichever type of tortoise you get welcome to the forum do you already have an enclosure set up and ready to go?

If you are looking specifically for a Russian, they are pretty easy to find. Reptile rescue's, craigslist, local pet stores, and there are many people here that are looking to rehome there Russian and there are many breeders listed here on the forum as well as reliable places to purchase them. But you have definitely found the right place to learn how to care for whichever type of tortoise you get welcome to the forum do you already have an enclosure set up and ready to go?

Yes i have an indoor enclosure and am currently working on an outdoor enclosure and I'm looking to adopt not buy. I'm interested in russian or a sulcata preferably a yearling or hatchling.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Have you checked Petfinder? Also check local veterinarians, my vet sometimes has tortoises and box turtles that need homes because they were basically left at the clinic.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Those are two different types of tortoises. Well actually, I've heard they are basically the same type of tortoise just one is huge and one is little as far as personality goes anyway. Not care. They are both full of personality, did like crazy, like to climb, and do not get along with other tortoises. And they both take much more room than you would expect. Definitely decide which one you want and make sure you're prepared for that tortoise. It is going to be hard to find a hatchling or yearling for adoption, they are usually sold at that age and then people give them up for adoption later. Males are usually easier to find for adoption but you don't know the sex of the tortoise when they're little.

ShannonS

I am thinking about rehoming my Russian tortoise. I have had him for about 5 years. He is from Petland, wild caught I am sure. He does not get along with other torts (like most Russians lol). He tolerates me but has never really warmed up to me. I live in Ohio. He loves being outside in the summer, he will explore nonstop for hours. If someone in a warmer climate is interested I could look into shipping him. I am not asking a fee, I just ask that anyone interested have adequate knowledge, space and resources to care for him properly. Thanks!
Do you still have him

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
I'm interested in russian or a sulcata preferably a yearling or hatchling.[/QUOTE]
In always curious why people want babies instead of hardy older tortoises.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
I'm interested in russian or a sulcata preferably a yearling or hatchling.
In always curious why people want babies instead of hardy older tortoises.[/QUOTE]
Go for the Russian :) someone on here called the Russian a miniature sulcata and the more I read about the big tortoise I'm thinking they're right. Tons of personality, love to dig and climb, not scared of anything etc. I could not imagine having 100 pound version of Yurik!

Status
Not open for further replies.