Considering rehoming red-footed tortoise. Rhode Island.

Jesse P

Location (City and/or State)
United States
I have a juvenile red-footed tortoise that is about 2.5 years old. Gender unknown. Don't have much space to get the 6x6 enclosure that I need for my red foot. I also don't know where I could rehome the tortoise to due to limited help.

Jesse P

United States
Are you willing to ship? We have a great member looking for one. She may be interested. @Maggie3fan
Haven't thought of shipping but that could be a consideration if she has the proper gear and enclosure. I am trying to give this tortoise a life better than I can provide it. The shell of my tortoise is smooth, I try my best to maintain humidity but struggle here and there due to the enclosure being an open cage on the top. For my tortoise's diet, I give it escarole, green leaf lettuce, spring mix, and squash. I try to give it some fruits but it doesn't handle it too well. I give it a calcium supplement once a week and pellets with its food every other day. I hope you get my gist. Just trying to give a description of my tortoise (named dozer) and my hopes.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Maggie has many years of tortoises and is a long time member. She knows how to care for them.
If you are really wanting to keep her, lots of people will build a second level to give more room when going out isn't possible. That said though, as an adult, your RF would need a room size enclosure dedicated just to her.

Reactions: Ink

Jesse P

United States
Maggie has many years of tortoises and is a long time member. She knows how to care for them.
If you are really wanting to keep her, lots of people will build a second level to give more room when going out isn't possible. That said though, as an adult, your RF would need a room size enclosure dedicated just to her.
Hmm I see, that is very comforting to know about Maggie, I was trying to find someone that was either a breeder or has knowledge of RF. I bought this tortoise a few years back not having much knowledge on RF or tortoises for that matter. It is possible for me to bring the tortoise out during the Summer season but after that ends I am not left with many options since my time is shrinking. My only option is trying to set up an enclosure in my basement which I am not fond of because my home was built in 1810, I just don't feel like it's the best spot. Also, could you walk me through on how I would ship my tortoise carefully to Maggie? I worry about its life. And I am aware that Maggie is still searching of course.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I have only shipped a couple times. So I would rather get you someone that ships all the time to help. But the reptile shipping company's "ship your reptile" and "reptiles to you" can help and walk you thru it and they have everything that you would need.
When/if you need to ship is the best time to come back and get the help. You can watch videos too if you look up how to ship a tortoise or reptile in the mean time

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
I have only shipped a couple times. So I would rather get you someone that ships all the time to help. But the reptile shipping company's "ship your reptile" and "reptiles to you" can help and walk you thru it and they have everything that you would need.
When/if you need to ship is the best time to come back and get the help. You can watch videos too if you look up how to ship a tortoise or reptile in the mean time
[email protected] went thru them when she got Houdini from me and she said it easy. They provided me with all the equipment needed, box etc. Shipping these days is very easy.100_0298.JPG
my outside pen has a pond...I should have kept Houdini...100_0293.JPG
but I didn't so now I am looking for another RF...100_0282.JPG