Considering rescuing a “Wolf” like dog

JohnnyB65

Location (City and/or State)
Southern CA High Desert
I have not seen the dog yet and don’t know for sure if it is a wolf, but from what I’ve heard is that the dog is very large, young, and also very loving. Everybody refers to it as a “wolf” because of the size and looks of it. I’m interested because I want a dog that looks and sounds terrifying to scare off intruders, but won’t actually hurt anybody.

The dog was left temporarily with friends as the owners have moved out of state and are living in an apartment for a while. It has been a long time and the two friends relationship is now strained with the dog sitter faced with the dilemma of being forced to get rid of the dog because she just can’t afford it without any help from the dog’s owners.

The sitter have been struggling with the option of taking it to the pound and it may happen sooner than anybody has predicted now that their own dog has been accidentally injured during some roughhouse playing between the two. The larger dogs tooth sliced the smaller dogs ear and has to be separated until the ear heals causing the the larger dog to cry and whine all night long disturbing the neighbors. The dog’s owner is not talking anymore and claims that it will be a long time yet before they can take the dog back.

Anyway I have two dogs already and one dog is having a lot of medical issues although she still gets around the yard pretty good and I just don’t know how this is going to work out with a new dog because she is still the matriarch. If the new dog has real wolf in it, I’m afraid it might hurt the older dog for dominance. Plus there is still the issue of the dog’s owner not wanting to give it up and I just don’t know what can of worms that will bring up.

I'm just thinking right now but they are bringing the dog over for me to see tonight. I just don’t want to see a lovable friendly dog put down just because of its size. I hope I'm not making a mistake here.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
If it actually has wolf in it, lease read up on them as much as possible. Not just anyone should have a wolf or wolf hybrid same as I don't believe just anyone should own a PitBull. There are different needs and different ways of training and owning these knds of dogs and that the problem, in my opinion, people don't get it and the animals pay for the stupidity of humans.

JohnnyB65

Southern CA High Desert
If it actually has wolf in it, lease read up on them as much as possible. Not just anyone should have a wolf or wolf hybrid same as I don't believe just anyone should own a PitBull. There are different needs and different ways of training and owning these knds of dogs and that the problem, in my opinion, people don't get it and the animals pay for the stupidity of humans.
I don’t know for sure, but I thought it was illegal to own a wolf or wolf hybrid around here anyway.

You bring up a good point though and I’ll have to ask if it is licensed and if they have a rabies vaccination papers. I would think that it would not have a license if in fact it was illegal and the rabies papers would identify the breed.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
I agree with the above, if it is a wolf, there will be very specific challenges that if you're not prepared for, and handle correctly, you will have disastrous results. I would also be worried about the owners. It would stink to put a bunch of work into this dog, and become attached, just to have to give it back. Good luck.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Only speaking for myself here: I would figure that it wouldn't be worth the risks.
I avoid liability issues.
Maybe if I was out in the country....

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
If you do get it, definitely keep your tortoise away from it. Those wild instincts could kick in and your beautiful CDT will get whacked.
Wolf genetics tend to make them very unpredictable, I thought. Experts or experienced hopefully will chime in soon.
Beautiful but dangerous is what comes to mind from what I think I read in the past.

JohnnyB65

Southern CA High Desert
Well after looking through a number of “wolf hybrid” sites and YouTube videos, I think I may already own a wolf hybrid. I got her from the pound 7 years ago and she has been the best dam dog I’ve ever had. I just wish I could have another one when my dog passes. She looks exactly like the dogs in the videos except that she is nothing like what they describe as far as behavior goes. The pound had her listed as shepherd mix.

Page_1.jpg

So I don’t know what to do now.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
See if you can spend some time with it, a couple different times, if you really want it, to see how it acts. Also see if you can bring alng your dog on a couple of those visits to see how the two get along. Try to find out how it was cared for in its past, that will tell you a lot, if it was treated poorly, you may want to pass. Seeing it does look like you may already have a hibred that is doing great, you must be a good fit for them.

JohnnyB65

Southern CA High Desert
............... I would also be worried about the owners. It would stink to put a bunch of work into this dog, and become attached, just to have to give it back. Good luck.
This is what my daughter is saying. She knows each of the parties personally and says they are very flaky.

JohnnyB65

Southern CA High Desert
See if you can spend some time with it, a couple different times, if you really want it, to see how it acts. Also see if you can bring alng your dog on a couple of those visits to see how the two get along. Try to find out how it was cared for in its past, that will tell you a lot, if it was treated poorly, you may want to pass. Seeing it does look like you may already have a hibred that is doing great, you must be a good fit for them.
They are going bring it over to my house so I'll be able to see them all together. My daughter tells me that the owners had cats and the dog never went after any of them, but I plan on keeping it outside as a guard dog. Not a trained dog but just to alarm me and hopefully scare away any would be burglars.
I just watched a video of Cesar Millan on WOLF-DOG Hybrids and it wasn't too promising although I still don't know for sure if it is a Hybrid wolf.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Oh, it's a sad thing, that they, hibreds, even exist. Humans always have to stick their two cents where it doesn't belong. But, they are here and deserve the best and proper care, seeing mankind already screwed them over once.

WithLisa

5 Year Member
Austria
I’m interested because I want a dog that looks and sounds terrifying to scare off intruders
I thought you already have a large barking dog? Okay, it's your daughters dog, but it seems that you have to deal with it but don't have enough time to go to a dog trainer. I think you should solve that problem first before you consider adding even another dog to your pack.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It's just my opinion, and probably not worth much, but I don't like the idea of an outside dog. I believe any animal that is taken in, deserves to become a member of the family. Dogs really like to be part of the group, and are very lonely when left outside all alone.

JohnnyB65

Southern CA High Desert
I thought you already have a large barking dog? Okay, it's your daughters dog, but it seems that you have to deal with it but don't have enough time to go to a dog trainer. I think you should solve that problem first before you consider adding even another dog to your pack.
Well that's not really my problem, its my son-in-laws problem and I believe they are looking for a home for it.
Anyway I will NOT accept the dog if its hyper or a barker period. This dog that I'm considering is not supposed to be like that. If it jumps up on me or starts barking out of control when it meets my dogs then Its over.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Well that's not really my problem, its my son-in-laws problem and I believe they are looking for a home for it.
Anyway I will NOT accept the dog if its hyper or a barker period. This dog that I'm considering is not supposed to be like that. If it jumps up on me or starts barking out of control when it meets my dogs then Its over.

What led you to believe it is a wolf mix? Just the appearance? Appearance is usually very deceiving--if someone thinks it resembles a wolf --then that may have been the only basis, you know what I mean?...if you get along with the animal, the animal gets along with you and your household...then it is just a matter of going with it....as with any new animal into the group, there will be adjustment and once you all get through that then all generally smooths out....generally :p

JohnnyB65

Southern CA High Desert
What led you to believe it is a wolf mix? Just the appearance? Appearance is usually very deceiving--if someone thinks it resembles a wolf --then that may have been the only basis, you know what I mean?...if you get along with the animal, the animal gets along with you and your household...then it is just a matter of going with it....as with any new animal into the group, there will be adjustment and once you all get through that then all generally smooths out....generally :p
The woman who is taking care of the dog thinks it has wolf in him and I have not even seen a photo of it. Actually I don't know if its a male or female. Anyway they had to work late last night and I'm working 11 hr days the rest of the week so I may not be able to see the dog until this weekend. Everybody who knows the dog says it is a really good dog. :)

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
I had a two dog rumble pack dominance bloody ear event years ago. My lab-terrier mix put the pit- shepherd mix in her place. There wasn't much blood, and all was calm afterwards. No need to separate them. Interfering in pack hierarchy is usually not a good idea.

Meet the dog. But please let it live inside if it is or can be house trained.

phebe121

My moms friend breeds the hybrids wolf dogs and some are awesome sweet and some take sides.of one person and if anyone get close to that person there in trouble. Meet thr dog and go from there

JohnnyB65

Southern CA High Desert
I had a two dog rumble pack dominance bloody ear event years ago. My lab-terrier mix put the pit- shepherd mix in her place. There wasn't much blood, and all was calm afterwards. No need to separate them. Interfering in pack hierarchy is usually not a good idea.

Meet the dog. But please let it live inside if it is or can be house trained.
Being an outdoor dog at my house really isn’t as bad as you may think. It’s not like the dog is isolated all by itself. There are other dogs for company and I have a corner enclosed porch of my family room with an 8ft wide patio door between them and us. They are literally only a few feet away from our recliner.

During the summer we have the door open with a screen to keep the bugs out and a swamp cooler cooling the house which blows into their area to keep them cool. They have heat in the winter and their entrance door has a blanket covering it to keep the cold drafts out.

DoogDoor_1_zps02c98a92.jpg

Plus I’m an outside guy and don’t watch much TV so I spend all my time outside with the dogs. I have my little work shop under the covered patio with my laptop plug in with WiFi. The dogs are always lying around my feet and sometimes tripping me. Fortunately they don’t like power tools so I don’t have to worry about them getting hurt when I’m building something.

DSCN1202_zpse57191f8.jpg

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Being an outdoor dog at my house really isn’t as bad as you may think. It’s not like the dog is isolated all by itself. There are other dogs for company and I have a corner enclosed porch of my family room with an 8ft wide patio door between them and us. They are literally only a few feet away from our recliner.

During the summer we have the door open with a screen to keep the bugs out and a swamp cooler cooling the house which blows into their area to keep them cool. They have heat in the winter and their entrance door has a blanket covering it to keep the cold drafts out.

DoogDoor_1_zps02c98a92.jpg

Plus I’m an outside guy and don’t watch much TV so I spend all my time outside with the dogs. I have my little work shop under the covered patio with my laptop plug in with WiFi. The dogs are always lying around my feet and sometimes tripping me. Fortunately they don’t like power tools so I don’t have to worry about them getting hurt when I’m building something.

DSCN1202_zpse57191f8.jpg

Besides, regardless to what some may feel...a dog outside is a happy dog....a dog not happy outside is in my opinion a confused dog who has had someone human try to convince it that it is something better than a dog...and in my opinion, a dog being dog is awesome.

Oh and, I have to say--that is a hell a lot a clamps my friend....:p