Considering rescuing a “Wolf” like dog

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
The woman who is taking care of the dog thinks it has wolf in him and I have not even seen a photo of it. Actually I don't know if its a male or female. Anyway they had to work late last night and I'm working 11 hr days the rest of the week so I may not be able to see the dog until this weekend. Everybody who knows the dog says it is a really good dog. :)

A really good dog trumps all the other theories, in my book anyways. Yes, there are some mis matched breed to human situations less desirable than others but not many. If you like the dog and vise versa, then go for it. 11 Hour days .....I am still trying to figure out exactly what your occupation is--lol--all in fun of course....every time I am out in the desert (yes, I know I live "in" the desert) you know, way out really in the desert--I look around and think, " self, what the hell is it that JohnnyB65 does for work out here in Gods land"....there are the obvious, line man, road man, geologist, meteorologist, conservationist for the government.....dang, one of these days I will figure it out....any of these it?? hmmmm? hmmmm? :)

phebe121

Idk i was rasied.different i couldnt have my pets outside like dogs or cat there animals that like human interaction you have them to be apart of your family not a lawn ornament

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
I managed a vet clinic for 5 years. During this time we had an adoption program at the clinic. Many breeds came in that were a "no no" breed. But 9 out of 10 times it wasn't the animal acting in any aggressive manor or I'll disposition. Some breeds require an owner that has a good understanding of that breed. Stereotyping against pit bulls, dogos, Rottweilers, bull terriers wolfs(hybrids) takes a more careful and knowledgable owner that will understand the animals background and temperaments. I've handled many wolfs from grey to timber, to hybrids. They have a very protective demeanor to them if there is a threat to the "pack". This is in the nature of its species.they're pack animals. The weakest will perish, the strongest will run with pack. You have to understand them, and know what physical movements, and temperaments are acceptable to apply around them. They're not welcoming of Labrador or retriever socialization and petting. They're solitary but social in different ways. A part of the pack. So you must ask yourself if your truly inclined to have a newest member of your pack. But you have to find what kind of pack your energy and home possess before plunging into something http at May not fit your homes pack standards. Hope that makes sense.

JohnnyB65

Southern CA High Desert
Oh and, I have to say--that is a hell a lot a clamps my friend....:p
Oh that’s not even a fraction of what I have. I build a lot curved furniture among other objects made from wood. I may use 75 to 100 clamps on some pieces to form wood into shapes depending on the size of it.

The piece shown in the photo is an outdoor cat retreat for my cats who are not allowed outside because of people around me who poison cats and also neighboring dogs who kill them. They enter from a catwalk to a bedroom window above the patio cover. They like watching me build things and also tease the dogs from their protected little enclosure. It even has a cat litter box on the bottom so they don’t have to go all the way back inside the house.

CatOutdoorCondoExtension_zps181774ab.jpg

JohnnyB65

Southern CA High Desert
A really good dog trumps all the other theories, in my book anyways. Yes, there are some mis matched breed to human situations less desirable than others but not many. If you like the dog and vise versa, then go for it. 11 Hour days .....I am still trying to figure out exactly what your occupation is--lol--all in fun of course....every time I am out in the desert (yes, I know I live "in" the desert) you know, way out really in the desert--I look around and think, " self, what the hell is it that JohnnyB65 does for work out here in Gods land"....there are the obvious, line man, road man, geologist, meteorologist, conservationist for the government.....dang, one of these days I will figure it out....any of these it?? hmmmm? hmmmm? :)
LOL I have to work this week way up in the mountains overlooking Apple Valley and San Bernardino although I can’t see much of SB because of clouds and smog. It’s a 3 to 4 hr round trip drive depending on weather and road conditions so I have to work long days in order to get anything done.

SnowFlower_1_zps1bcad445.jpg

JohnnyB65

Southern CA High Desert
Idk i was rasied.different i couldnt have my pets outside like dogs or cat there animals that like human interaction you have them to be apart of your family not a lawn ornament
Well I wouldn’t call them “lawn ornaments”. They do get plenty of attention and they have a job to do which they can’t do sleeping on the couch. Their job is to warn us of intruders coming into the backyard so I can call for help.

When my girls were young and afraid of monsters and such under their beds I kept a dog inside the house that would sleep at the top of the stairs every night so that the girls would go to sleep. They knew to call for the dog if they awoke in the night and the dog would go into their room to scare away any bad monsters. And I have to admit that I also slept pretty well myself with the dog at the top of the stairs.

Dogs004_zps6c5697d2.jpg

That dog passed away and my girls are all grown up so now I’m focused on real live monsters roaming the streets at night and in the mornings. The whole area is going to hell with very bad people moving into the area everyday and I’ve had my truck broken into a couple of times. There have been a few home invasions and plenty of burglaries in the neighborhood with them always going through the back doors. None of the houses with outside dogs were broken into.

JohnnyB65

Southern CA High Desert
I managed a vet clinic for 5 years. During this time we had an adoption program at the clinic. Many breeds came in that were a "no no" breed. But 9 out of 10 times it wasn't the animal acting in any aggressive manor or I'll disposition. Some breeds require an owner that has a good understanding of that breed. Stereotyping against pit bulls, dogos, Rottweilers, bull terriers wolfs(hybrids) takes a more careful and knowledgable owner that will understand the animals background and temperaments. I've handled many wolfs from grey to timber, to hybrids. They have a very protective demeanor to them if there is a threat to the "pack". This is in the nature of its species.they're pack animals. The weakest will perish, the strongest will run with pack. You have to understand them, and know what physical movements, and temperaments are acceptable to apply around them. They're not welcoming of Labrador or retriever socialization and petting. They're solitary but social in different ways. A part of the pack. So you must ask yourself if your truly inclined to have a newest member of your pack. But you have to find what kind of pack your energy and home possess before plunging into something http at May not fit your homes pack standards. Hope that makes sense.
Yes I completely agree with you about knowing something about the animal before taking on the responsibility. I am concerned as how it will fit in with my dogs and that is why I want the dog to come to my house first so I can observe how they react to each other.

Well I’m just now learning about hybrids, but both my wife and I love wolves and have probably watched every documentary about wolfs ever shown on TV. Look I am NOT saying I’m an expert because I watched some TV shows, but I have learned a lot about wolves as a result of watching all those documentaries over the years and feel that I have a good sense of what to watch for. I’ve been observing my own dogs for 20 years trying to see any traces of wolf behavior from what I learned from the documentaries.

Anyway we don’t even know for sure if it is a hybrid at this point and I’m pretty certain that I will be able to recognize anything that maybe out of the ordinary for a dog.

phebe121

Well I wouldn’t call them “lawn ornaments”. They do get plenty of attentiey have a job to do which they can’t do sleeping on the couch. Their job is to warn us of intruders coming into the backyard so I can call for help.

When my girls were young and afraid of monsters and such under their beds I kept a dog inside the house that would sleep at the top of the stairs every night so that the girls would go to sleep. They knew to call for the dog if they awoke in the night and the dog would go into their room to scare away any bad monsters. And I have to admit that I also slept pretty well myself with the dog at the top of the stairs.

Dogs004_zps6c5697d2.jpg

That dog passed away and my girls are all grown up so now I’m focused on real live monsters roaming the streets at night and in the mornings. The whole area is going to hell with very bad people moving into the area everyday and I’ve had my truck broken into a couple of times. There have been a few home invasions and plenty of burglaries in the neighborhood with them always going through the back doors. None of the houses with outside dogs were broken into.

My dogs hace always been inside and still worn me when someones walking past nothing gets by them same my mom has a pit/greatdane mix no one can walk by the house without her knowing they dont have to be outside to do there job

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
This is strictly my opinion here but I would have no part of a wolf or wolf hybrid. Not as a pet. Actually, not at all. You can't necessarily tell if it is a wolf just by looking at it, bloodwork will probably be needed to check the genetics. Maybe they can test the for I don't know. Wolf hybrids are you legal in many places, and many homeowners insurance don't cover them, apartment complexes won't allow them etc. And all for very good reason. You can't train a wolf like you can't a dog no matter how good of a trainer you are. And even the most well-trained dog is still a dog. So between the flaky people and the questionable bloodlines, I would stay away from this animal. There are thousands and thousands of great animals being put down every day and shelters, go find one of them.

JohnnyB65

Southern CA High Desert
My dogs hace always been inside and still worn me when someones walking past nothing gets by them same my mom has a pit/greatdane mix no one can walk by the house without her knowing they dont have to be outside to do there job
I live in a high wind area and the dogs can’t hear anything 75 to 80% of the time and it always scares the hell out of them when someone would knock at the door when they should have heard them coming up the walkway. I’ve even sneaked through the side gate and made it all the way to the back patio door without any of them hearing anything until I pounded on the door. There are times when it’s a dead quiet very early in the morning and you can hear everything, but it’s very unusual. .

I have neighbor’s dogs across the street with full view of the front of my house that bark at anybody walking into the cul-de-sac. They are also outside dogs and set at their fence all night keeping watch. We can’t hear the dogs barking during the daytime because of traffic on the highway but can hear them through the night when thing quite down. So with the neighbor’s dogs in the front and my dogs in the back, I feel pretty good.

When I hear the neighbor’s dogs in front at night, I don’t even have to get out of bed because I have the whole cul-de-sac covered with cameras accessible from my Smartphone. I can view the neighbor’s outside cameras and they can view mine at any time.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
So, anymore thoughts on adding this possible wolf dog to your current pack? Still waiting to meet the dog?

(Trying to steer the thread away from the indoor/outdoor argument..It's not your point of this thread after all, right?...oy :rolleyes: )

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
LOL I have to work this week way up in the mountains overlooking Apple Valley and San Bernardino although I can’t see much of SB because of clouds and smog. It’s a 3 to 4 hr round trip drive depending on weather and road conditions so I have to work long days in order to get anything done.

SnowFlower_1_zps1bcad445.jpg

Ahhh....the plot thickens....okay, so if you are on a mountain that overlooks our city here in Apple Valley to one side and then the other side
San Bernardino....perhaps Big Bear? Sugarloaf? More more....oh, is that your work truck in the background to the right?

phebe121

Thats about where i spent my summer my hunnys mom lives around there the mountain and his dad owens like half a mountain we where at was beautiful and peaceful i never worried about it being broken into woke up every morning like this

Attachments

• CAM00343.jpg
    CAM00343.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 8

JohnnyB65

Southern CA High Desert
So, anymore thoughts on adding this possible wolf dog to your current pack? Still waiting to meet the dog?

(Trying to steer the thread away from the indoor/outdoor argument..It's not your point of this thread after all, right?...oy :rolleyes: )
Thanks Heather, its just a waiting game until I have time to see the dog which will not be until this weekend. My daughter said they sent a photo, but I haven't received it yet.

JohnnyB65

Southern CA High Desert
Ahhh....the plot thickens....okay, so if you are on a mountain that overlooks our city here in Apple Valley to one side and then the other side
San Bernardino....perhaps Big Bear? Sugarloaf? More more....oh, is that your work truck in the background to the right?
Yes That's my truck full of equipment such as tools, test equipment, Snake Proof Chaps, and Snowshoes. I used to have a snowmobile, but it was determined to be too dangerous for the rugged San Bernardino Mountains and it was taken away from me. I also carry survival gear in case I get stranded or caught in an avalanche although its been a long time since we had enough snow for that. :)

JohnnyB65

Southern CA High Desert
Thats about where i spent my summer my hunnys mom lives around there the mountain and his dad owens like half a mountain we where at was beautiful and peaceful i never worried about it being broken into woke up every morning like this
I have close friends there and try get up as much as I can, but its a long drive and after driving hundreds of miles through the week I don't want to go any where on the weekends.

phebe121

I have close friends there and try get up as much as I can, but its a long drive and after driving hundreds of miles through the week I don't want to go any where on the weekends.

I dont blame you.you drive alot

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Yes That's my truck full of equipment such as tools, test equipment, Snake Proof Chaps, and Snowshoes. I used to have a snowmobile, but it was determined to be too dangerous for the rugged San Bernardino Mountains and it was taken away from me. I also carry survival gear in case I get stranded or caught in an avalanche although its been a long time since we had enough snow for that. :)

What type of test equipment sir? Hmmm, determined too dangerous sounds like a government or state entity? hmmmm? hmmmm? :)

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Oh that’s not even a fraction of what I have. I build a lot curved furniture among other objects made from wood. I may use 75 to 100 clamps on some pieces to form wood into shapes depending on the size of it.

The piece shown in the photo is an outdoor cat retreat for my cats who are not allowed outside because of people around me who poison cats and also neighboring dogs who kill them. They enter from a catwalk to a bedroom window above the patio cover. They like watching me build things and also tease the dogs from their protected little enclosure. It even has a cat litter box on the bottom so they don’t have to go all the way back inside the house.

CatOutdoorCondoExtension_zps181774ab.jpg

Oh yeah....meant to tell you, awesome cat tower/retreat....

JohnnyB65

Southern CA High Desert
What type of test equipment sir? Hmmm, determined too dangerous sounds like a government or state entity? hmmmm? hmmmm? :)
Actually it was the US Forestry that said I could no longer use it and I have to abide by their rules when I’m on their land. I have so many stories about dealing with them.