Constant Sneezing

Status
Not open for further replies.

irEric

5 Year Member
So i started to notice my little tort started to sneeze constantly. At first it was just very few but by the third day it became quite frequent. I think it may have got worse when i gave it a soak. the water may have gotten colder after ten minutes because it started to sneeze.

There is no bubbles from the nose, was quite active after the hand feeding. It seems to really get into the feeding as well. I don't have a ceramic heat emitter so should i leave the MVB on for the night? It's currently burrowed under the basking area.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
I'm not a greek expert, but here are some tortoise generalities to start answering some of your questions:
1. When a tort gets sick I always check the enclosure temps and if everything is as it should I bump them up 10-15 degrees. This usually helps their immune system and helps them get well sooner.
2. All torts need it dark at night. You can get a cheap black, blue or red bulb from a hardware store for night time until you get a CHE.
3. If he is always on the warm side, under the basking lamp, its a good indicator that your temps are too low all the way around and he's desperately trying to warm up to "operating" temperature.

If everything else is okay and your temps are good, he may have something in his nose causing the sneezing. If you use a flashlight, you may be able to peer in there and have a look.

Our greek experts will need some more info to help you better.
What are your four temps? Warm side, cool side, basking spot and night.
How big is the enclosure?
What substrate are you using and how moist is it?
Humidity?
Diet?

Post a pic of your enclosure and then the Greek folks will really have some answers for you.

Missy

5 Year Member
Illinois
I use a heating pad on low under Tanks soaking tub to keep the water warm. Hope your tort feels better soon.

irEric

5 Year Member
I'm using cypress mulch, and it has about 60% humidity. It seems the underlaying substrate retains some humidity.
It was burrowed deep under the lamp and the temp of its shell was 85F.

Basking spot is 95~F
Cool end is 70~F
There is no warm end but I am using a flood light. So the temp drops as you move from the basking area, but drops quickly.
at night i shut everything off and its 70~F

I've only had it for three days now and i've just been feeding it organic romaine lettuce.

Other things I want to mention/ask:
- I have a water softener for my house.
- It makes a clicking noise with its beak
- How long does it stay burrowed?
- Should i go to a vet or raise the temps and let it recover? It seems quite active and eating.
- Substrate recommendation?

Thanks for your replies,advice, and concern.

Attachments

• enclosure.jpg
    enclosure.jpg
    321.2 KB · Views: 167
  • Medium.jpg
    Medium.jpg
    486.2 KB · Views: 182

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
It needs much more then Romaine. Any tort does. And from the pic, it looks a bit dry, do you have a humid hide? or dampen the substrate?
cute little guy!

Missy

5 Year Member
Illinois
I would get some organic spring mix and pick out any spinach. Clicking is normal both of my torts do it. I use organic soil and coconut choir mix. You can get a piece of plexy glass and cover half and that should warm it up more. As for the soft water I don't no but I would not use it.

irEric

5 Year Member
Laura said:
It needs much more then Romaine. Any tort does. And from the pic, it looks a bit dry, do you have a humid hide? or dampen the substrate?
cute little guy!

Yes i'll work on getting some more variety in its diet. the bottom part of the substrate seems quite damp still since opening the bag, about 3 days ago. from the looks of the substrate today it was wandering around and then burrowed again where its a bit moist and under the basking area. Around 85F was the temp of its shell. Just gave it a feeding and bought a che 100w that i'll leave on tonight. i guess to keep it at 80~85 degrees. Will humidity make the sneezing better?

And yeah i know~ so cute!

greeks

5 Year Member
New England
For little ones, keep it humid, but warm in the warm areas (a challenging contradiction) and cool but drier in the cool areas. Many of us have success with a 2/3 dry aspen and 1/3 coconut coir mix for baby greeks. It creates a nice humidity gradient and is easy for the little guys to dig into. I've also never seen them accidentally eat any of the substrate (and certainly not intentionally). I also keep a humid hide box made of a wooden bird house with the front cut off with the inside floor covered in a piece of repti carpet and sphagnum moss and a piece of sponge glued to the inside roof that I keep wet. It sits just to the side of the basking lamp so that it is humid but warm. Organic soil (sterile) mixed with sand is better for older tortoises, but some people use it with their younger guys too. There are lots of options.

I flush my soaking water to keep it warm (I soak my tortoises in the sink so this is easily achieved). My torts tend to blow some air from their noses when they soak, especially when they are cleaning their eyes and such - it sounds a bit like sneezing but it's not. If sneezing persists even with changes you make and begins to include bubbles, runny nose or icky eyes, take him/her to a reptile vet.

irEric

5 Year Member
Thanks for the advice. I've read about sand mixtures too and i actually bought playsand before I went to go buy the little guy/girl at an expo. I was actually expecting russians but there are practically none in Canada, but this greek looks so much better!

I think i might go a coir/sand or soil/sand mixture. Is it possible the dust from the cypress mulch is causing my tortoise to sneeze? when i pick up the substrate i notice a lot of dust on my hand. He/she likes to burrow a lot and gets a lot of substrate stuck in her shell.

So at night is a 70~F temp okay for moist substrates?

Can someone also id my tort?

DSC06886.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.