Constipated RT

Status
Not open for further replies.

lizabethkitty

5 Year Member
I have had my RT for about two-three months, and she is a blessing. I love her, her name is Baby. I bought her from a pet store and for the first month she had horrible diarrhea, nothing solid at all. I contacted a vet he said it might be because of stress from moving to a new home, so I let her settle in a bit and eventually her poop started to solidify. She is very active and loves running around the house. I feed her a variety of things, kale, spring mix, greens, et cetra. Normally she poops in the bath tub during her soaks and releases a normal amount of urates. But recently, in the past two weeks she has not been releasing anything at all. No poop or urates. I have become very worried. I upped the number of soaks, thinking she might be dehydrated, this has not helped. After doing a lot of research and before registering to this site, I saw a post on here saying that pumpkin would clean out her system. Last night I fed her the usual amount of kale, on schedule, this time I put a small amount of pumpkin on her kale, she at all of the kale and avoided the pieces with pumpkin.
I'm feeding her every other day, for as much as she can eat for an hour, with the recommended leafy green vegetables. Her substrate is organic potting soil with no additives and timothy hay. She has the right amount of light with the perfect fixture. I give her normal soaks 2-3 times a week. I let her run around the house for exercise, and before I put her down, I vacuum and make sure nothing hazardous is in the way. HELP ME PLEASE!
AM I DOING SOMETHING WRONG!?
(sorry for the length, I just wanted to give as much info as possible)

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
Is there any chance she is eating it? Is she eating the usual amount of food and being active still? What temps are you keeping her at?

Romaine lettuce, cactus, and aloe are three other very common things to try. With the pumpkin (and it is pure pumpkin not one with additives, sweetners, or made with sweet potatoes?) use it to coat the greens and/or chop the greens up small and add to a little pumpkin, making sure the greens are the highest amount of the mixture since she is not wanting to eat it.

Did you ever have her checked for parasites, as this could also be a problem. Even more so with the stress from before and the diarreah.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Another question on the soaks... how long are you doing them? Sometimes upping the time they spend in the warm water and the exercising they normally do trying to get out, it will cause them to empty out.

AZtortMom

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sunny AZ
It's funny Jacqui, you and I were about to post the same exact response :p

Spn785

5 Year Member
Mid-Missouri
Feed her a little aloe. Also, you should probably be feeding everyday versus every other day.

lizabethkitty

5 Year Member
I've been soaking her 30-45 minutes. I haven't had her checked because the vet told me she was fine if her poop started getting more solid. I left the pumpkin in there hoping she would give in and eat it, she did. I tried to feed her aloe but she nibbled a piece and left the rest alone. I'll start feeding her everyday starting tomorrow. She's still very active.
Should I get her checked if there are no bowel movements in the next two days?

AZtortMom

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sunny AZ
Hi ;) how's she doing?

Status
Not open for further replies.