Constipation help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Creedence

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Sacramento, CA
My Russian's been in her new winter enclosure for about a week now (she lived outside all summer) and I haven't seen any poop. She pooped during her soak the day before yesterday, but only a little. She's still eating like a pig (spring mix as a base, whatever green I pick up that week, weeds when I can find them, and the occasional bit if zoomed grassland). I've been upping the length of soaks, but I'm not sure what to do. I read a thread somewhere about putting mineral oil or olive oil on food? Any input is appreciated :)

Creedence

5 Year Member
Sacramento, CA
It's a possibility, but I've never seen her do it. I kind of hope so at this point, haha

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Mineral oil might help and it won't hurt anything.

Try using a large tub for the soaks, and let her stay in there for an hour. Keep it warm. They usually start trying to climb out and all the exercise will help get things in the GI tract moving, while the water helps rehydrate her and loosen things up a bit.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I would bet your just not seeing them. She is still eating, so don't be getting too worried at this point.

Creedence

5 Year Member
Sacramento, CA
I've been letting her wander around her outside pen since it's pretty nice out, and after an hour she finally pooped a tiny bit. Thanks guys.

Talka

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
I never see Sheldon poop, but I'm always finding tons of little dried turds every time I replace his substrate.

Watsonpartyof4

5 Year Member
I will bet money she is eating them! Especially if she is still eating and active..... My Tyrone has a nasty habit of eating his like it is a gourmet appetizer! ... Sorry I think I just threw up in my mouth a little...

Status
Not open for further replies.