Constructed a Sunning Pen, What Do You Think?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vegas_Leopard

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Las Vegas, NV
I recently (yesterday) constructed a sunning pen for my Leopard Tortoise babies and would like to get your guys output on the enclosure. The pen is about 7'x5' and I'm using 6"x8"x16" concrete fencing blocks and two slate flat rocks for a barrier. There's a built in sprinkler system time to go off in the morning and at night. The substrate is all natural organic topsoil and I've planted a seed mix I purchased from Tortoise Supply, I also have two Trade Wind Hibiscus plants.

Is there anything else I should try and added for this sunning pen for my Leopard Tortoises? They'll probably spend 1-3 hours a day in there.

The enclosure to the right of my sunning pen is a outdoor enclosure I house my Sulcata's in and the black concrete tub used to be a sunning pen, but is now a graze box.

oxus.jpg

Pokeymeg

5 Year Member
Boston, MA
Those look awesome! Just make sure your tortoise has access to water and has a hide that provides shade!

Vegas_Leopard

10 Year Member!
Las Vegas, NV
Thanks! :D There being well looked after, I still have to get a shade cloth to hang over the concrete pen.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Looks good. However, does UVB go through shade cloth? If not, your defeating the purpose of a sunning pen. A couple hides would probably be better appreciated by your leopards. Also, be sure there is a water dish they can easily drink from.

Vegas_Leopard

10 Year Member!
Las Vegas, NV
Thanks wellington! Some shade cloths just reduce the amount of UV, but now that you've brought the idea up. I may just place some upside down dish pans around the pen. Yeah, I'll definitely get a large terracotta saucer filled with water. Is there anything else I should think about adding?
wellington said:
Looks good. However, does UVB go through shade cloth? If not, your defeating the purpose of a sunning pen. A couple hides would probably be better appreciated by your leopards. Also, be sure there is a water dish they can easily drink from.

Status
Not open for further replies.