Contemplating Stars

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShadowRancher

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Columbia, SC
I'm still working on getting a couple more sullys and probably won't branch out to more species for at least a year but I have been captivated by stars. They are gorgeous and I was wondering if anyone has any literature to recommend (I've already seen the post on Jerry Fife's Star book and plan to order it soon) or point me to helpful threads here?

I've looked around quite a bit in my Sully research but it's a bit difficult to wade through old threads if you don't know what you are looking for (although thank-you admins for that search function :)).

Ohh and if anyone has any recs on where to get them from once I'm ready that would be great...I've been looking at tortoise supply and have heard great things about them from people here. Sadly they seem to run about $500 everywhere I've seen them and I'd like to start with several so it will be awhile before I can afford any... unless I feel like explaining to my father and his financial advisor how I spent my excess student loan on adorable baby tortoises ;)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Sorry, I can't help you...but I have to agree: That's one of the prettiest tortoises around.

tortoises101

5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
Their care is quite similar to leopard tortoises, but unlike their African counterpart, stars stay smaller, are less active (smaller enclosure size), are hardy when maintained properly, and are rewarding pieces of eye candy. $500 is high for a star: they typically average in the $300 range. But if you see a star tortoise for $500 in Canada be sure to tell me. ;)

turtlelady80

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Farm
Hi! I have the same fascination with Stars. I do have one (unfortunately he's retarded looking and I'm having some complications with him growing properly) but he is very beautiful and special to me. I have a friend that knows "Janie" with Upscale Reptiles down in Miami and has nothing but the best things to say about her and her Stars. I spoke with her once about possibly purchasing 2 of her Sri Lankan stars and was going to cut me a pretty good deal BUT of course fell into money problems so I couldnt get them. So if your interested in Sri Lankans I would definetely give her a call. She really takes great great care of her animals. Also you could get a temp sexed pair from her. If you want to wait a little bit, I have 2 star tortoise eggs in the incubator now and more on the way. But no guarantees that the eggs are viable just yet. One just exploded on me the other day. :(

ShadowRancher

10 Year Member!
Columbia, SC
emysemys said:
Sorry, I can't help you...but I have to agree: That's one of the prettiest tortoises around.

With the added perk that I can name them after constellations :D Draconis and Andromeda here I come ;)

tortoises101 said:
Their care is quite similar to leopard tortoises, but unlike their African counterpart, stars stay smaller, are less active (smaller enclosure size), are hardy when maintained properly, and are rewarding pieces of eye candy. $500 is high for a star: they typically average in the $300 range. But if you see a star tortoise for $500 in Canada be sure to tell me. ;)

Cheers for the overview, it'll keep me going until my book comes in. And I guess I will have to look harder on prices. The trustworthy looking place I found was $550 and the sketchier operations were still in the $400's.

turtlelady80 said:
Hi! I have the same fascination with Stars. I do have one (unfortunately he's retarded looking and I'm having some complications with him growing properly) but he is very beautiful and special to me. I have a friend that knows "Janie" with Upscale Reptiles down in Miami and has nothing but the best things to say about her and her Stars. I spoke with her once about possibly purchasing 2 of her Sri Lankan stars and was going to cut me a pretty good deal BUT of course fell into money problems so I couldnt get them. So if your interested in Sri Lankans I would definetely give her a call. She really takes great great care of her animals. Also you could get a temp sexed pair from her. If you want to wait a little bit, I have 2 star tortoise eggs in the incubator now and more on the way. But no guarantees that the eggs are viable just yet. One just exploded on me the other day. :(

I'm sorry to hear about your egg, I saw that post I think and meant to comment :(

If your others work out, though, send me a line. It would be neat to "know" them when they are still eggs. And thanks for the breeder info too...I'll have too look them up in the morning, it's time for this sickly student to get some sleep :p

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I would recommend Stars, they are sweet tortoises. When little hatchling size they remind me more of beautiful little bugs scurrying around. :D

For places to get them the two I would recommend are Neal (a member in here who also has Leopards) and Larry G in NY (I believe).

ShadowRancher

10 Year Member!
Columbia, SC
Jacqui said:
I would recommend Stars, they are sweet tortoises. When little hatchling size they remind me more of beautiful little bugs scurrying around. :D

For places to get them the two I would recommend are Neal (a member in here who also has Leopards) and Larry G in NY (I believe).

Ah that's so funny, I've been google imaging baby stars lately :)D) and thought they looked like pretty little scarab beetles!

And thanks for the info, yay new things to research! (the sad part is that's not actually sarcasm)... Is Larry G a member too?

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
ShadowRancher said:
Ah that's so funny, I've been google imaging baby stars lately :)D) and thought they looked like pretty little scarab beetles!

And thanks for the info, yay new things to research! (the sad part is that's not actually sarcasm)... Is Larry G a member too?

No to my knowledge Larry is not. I would have to dig to find his email address. You know tho, you might ask Kristina, she bought her Stars from him at the beginning of the year.

seanang168

10 Year Member!
Are there any laws in US governing trade of stars? Stars apparently is an endangered specie and some countries ban the trade and even ownership of stars. Hence it would be best to get a captive breed star if desire so as not to promote illegal trade that would lead to the eventual demise of stars in their home countries.

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I went thru old emails and came up with the email addy I had for LArry. Didn't want to post it on the public forum without his permission, so check your PM box for it. :cool:

ShadowRancher

10 Year Member!
Columbia, SC
seanang168 said:
Are there any laws in US governing trade of stars? Stars apparently is an endangered specie and some countries ban the trade and even ownership of stars. Hence it would be best to get a captive breed star if desire so as not to promote illegal trade that would lead to the eventual demise of stars in their home countries.

As far as I can tell CB stars are bought and sold as freely as any other species and I only ever get captive bred anything, it just seems like a solid general practice. Cheers anyway

Jacqui said:
I went thru old emails and came up with the email addy I had for LArry. Didn't want to post it on the public forum without his permission, so check your PM box for it. :cool:

Got your PM, cheers

tortoises101

5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
seanang168 said:

Only Burmese stars are endangered and Appendix 1 on CITES. onarock and JeffG are 2 members on this forum who have Burmese stars. There are probably others too, but not alot due to their rarity. Plus, if you purchase any endangered species you should set up a breeding project.

Rustyiron

5 Year Member
tortoises101 said:
seanang168 said:

Only Burmese stars are endangered and Appendix 1 on CITES. onarock and JeffG are 2 members on this forum who have Burmese stars. There are probably others too, but not alot due to their rarity. Plus, if you purchase any endangered species you should set up a breeding project.

No!!!! Burmese stars are Appendix II on CITES. not Appendix I !!!!!

tortoises101

5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
Rustyiron said:
tortoises101 said:
seanang168 said:

No!!!! Burmese stars are Appendix II on CITES. not Appendix I !!!!!

My bad. Calm down.

Status
Not open for further replies.