Controversial subject??

Jonathan White

Location (City and/or State)
Hertfordshire
Hello all.
This is my very first post on here but have been a keen Tort. keeper for some years.
I have a question ;
Do any of you make your own Tort. pellets or dried food.

I know that some will be slack jawed at even the thought of such heresy but, there is such an abundance of good quality food in the fields etc at the moment, I was wondering if it would be possible to preserve some for leaner times. This way I would also know exactly what was in them ie more grasses etc for the Leopards and dandelions for the spur thighed.

Hope this doesn't start a heated mud slinging debate and some one can advise.

Thank you

Jon.

StarSapphire22

5 Year Member
Fargo, ND
I don't know about making pellets, but plenty of people here (myself included) use dried weeds and herbs for our torts. Just make sure you rehydrate them a bit at feeding time. I put them in a small bowl with mazuri pellets, put a little water in and let everything soak it up for a minute, mash it all together and feed.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I collect the leaves especially of mulberries and grapes, among other weeds, blooms and leaves and then dry them for a top dressing for my tortoises in the winter.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'm too lazy to take the trouble. If there isn't anything growing on my property, I buy from the produce market. And I supplement with Mazuri Tortoise Diet. Since you're in the UK, I think folks over there use the Komodo pellets.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
This doesn't seem "controversial" at all. I don't know what abuse you've suffered on other sites, but this topic is not worthy of slinging any mud upon you! :)

I see nothing wrong with what you propose. It will all be in how well you are able to execute your plan. I say good luck with it and please share with us what you learn and how well it all works.

And....... Hello and welcome to the forum!!!

Reactions: Evy

Evy

5 Year Member
San Diego, CA
This doesn't seem "controversial" at all. I don't know what abuse you've suffered on other sites, but this topic is not worthy of slinging any mud upon you! :)

I see nothing wrong with what you propose. It will all be in how well you are able to execute your plan. I say good luck with it and please share with us what you learn and how well it all works.

And....... Hello and welcome to the forum!!!

I love this site because ppl is super friendly and helpful I even feel like staring to know some of the regular members who help us :0))

London my lovely Sulcata tortoise :0))

Evy

5 Year Member
San Diego, CA
Welcome to the forum! It would be nice to know how to do mazuri or other pallets :0))

I have fresh plants for my sully but I have thought about drying some flowers and other weeds too.

London my lovely Sulcata tortoise :0))

FLINTUS

5 Year Member
Watery Wiltshire in the UK
I collect up fruits and make a frozen fruit salad for my guys, as well as drying weeds and flowers. I also use mazuri and zoo med, the former of which I have a bit for sale if you ever want any-I'm in the UK.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
I did what Jacqui did, I collect two large tub full of mulberries and grapes leaf from couple friends's house, dry them under the sun for couple weeks, then feed the torts in the winter. They love it, just like eating chips, making that kind of sound.

I also put Timothy hay, Orchard hay and some other hays (to feed rabbits) from pet store and use a old blender to make dry hay power and sprinkle or mixed in with leaf or grass to feed my tortoises.