conversation started by dangerkittyx3 taken from someone else's thread

DangerKittyx3

Location (City and/or State)
Planet of the Tortoises
Donatella is getting a bed changing now. Today replace her substrate as we do every 2 weeks. When she pees and when I spray her wth water she gets the substrate damp and since I have bad allergies to mold I have to keep it clean.

DangerKittyx3

Planet of the Tortoises
Hi. Thank you for offering your assistance. I will review all the information you advised to me. I plan to take all that into consideration while building her house. =)

Tort1419

Btw you do not have to replace the substrate ever. Just spot clean it. Pee is always going to be there but if it had dried out and evaporated it's not going to do any harm. THAT DOESNT MEAN JUST LEAVE POO AND PEE UNCLEANED. But if you don't see it, that's ok. Think about it, usually tortoises live ok some kind of soil. Soil= rocks, poo, pee, and nutrients

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
I can't have a dirty enclosure in my home being her home is just feet away from my kitchen table. It's just very unsanitary.
As long as you wash your hands properly after handling your tortoise, there isn't a problem. Germs don't jump. Even changing the substrate completely every day won't remove bacteria completely.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I can't have a dirty enclosure in my home being her home is just feet away from my kitchen table. It's just very unsanitary.
Gotcha.
Nobody was making judgements.;)
I hope that your tort won't be such a little pig...like mine.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
The half pot I have, that gets constant use, is in my box turtke enclosure. It is a terra cotta pot cut in half, placed on it's side, then covered on the top with dirt. It is always in use, either with a turtle on top or in the "cave". Infact, for the last several years, one of the box turtles has chosen to hibernate in there

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The half pot I have, that gets constant use, is in my box turtke enclosure. It is a terra cotta pot cut in half, placed on it's side, then covered on the top with dirt. It is always in use, either with a turtle on top or in the "cave". Infact, for the last several years, one of the box turtles has chosen to hibernate in there

I like the idea to cover the hiding place with mounded dirt. This lessens the problem of the climbing tortoise falling off.