Converting a basement room into a Sulcata winter home?

KYMichelle

Location (City and/or State)
Kentucky
For many years now I've wanted a sulcata. I adore tortoises and turtles, but I've never really had one of my own. Now that I've got a house with a yard, I would very much like to change that. The main thing that's always stopped me from having one is the winter months. I live in mid Kentucky, and the weather here sees negative temperatures in the winter. Not usually for very long at a stretch but I certainly wouldn't want to keep any animals out in that!

This house has a basement with a few rooms, and I'm seriously thinking of converting one of them into a winter home for a sulcata. I would love to see some advice, tips, threads, whatever input might be available! I will add that I am hoping to adopt a bigger/older one so everything I'm planning here is for a mid to adult sized animal. If I end up getting a baby I will mod the room until it's big enough to need it.

The basement room is about 20ft x 20ft has walls of red brick. The floor right now is a mixture of gravel and dirt. The room actually has a functional shower in it, but not a stall. It's basically a drain in the floor and a faucet coming out of the ceiling with hot and cold water. I was thinking I could concrete the floor in such a way as to be able to use a hose to spray out the floor and send waste into the drain. That would let me keep the room extra clean for him/her while it's there. The doorway to this room would need a short ramp as it has steps going up right now, but it leads to the garage which in turn leads outside. I figure when the little dude gets too big to carry I could walk it outside this way. Carrot on a stick perhaps? XD

The room is unfinished right now, so I will be putting a better door on to hold heat in and adding insulation to the walls. The floor will be cemented, and I will add some platforms to put some heaters on to keep the room warm without him being able to knock them over. I know I will need a basking area too, but I can run a heat lamp down from the ceiling to whatever spot I choose for that. I can also put a UV lamp in the same place. I was thinking of building a wooden platform there to allow him to get off the cement floor and warm up. I think I would need some type of pool area as well so he can soak. I may fix the drain area to allow that there and make water changes easier? Either that or I may build a cement pool next to it that can drain into it. And I believe they need some type of hide, so perhaps a wooden dog house in his room? Should this have extra heat?

At the moment that's all the plans I've come up with! Does this sound viable? Is there anything I will want that's not mentioned here? I've just started looking into this idea a few hours ago so I probably missed something. But also some things you only think of with experience so advice on both is quite welcome!

Hutsie B

5 Year Member
NC
I don't have advice, but you sound lucky to have such a space to work with. Good luck with it. Keep us posted

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Interesting project, cant be accomplished in a weekend, thats for sure, so good that you are planning ahead. Does this unfinished basement room have any supplied heat, what is the temp in there during the winter?

Given my experience with our Sully, both inside and outside, i don't think this is a good idea:
  • was thinking I could concrete the floor in such a way as to be able to use a hose to spray out the floor and send waste into the drain. unless of course you have 8-10" drains. I can see all kinds of clogged drains.
Im sure @Tom will have some good ideas!

Good luck.

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
Ambitious idea. I admire you for thinking of every possible thing to give your sulcata a good home. I don't think you'll be able to wash the floor and send waste down the drain, unless you scoop out the heavy stuff first.

As far as training a tortoise to move when you want him to - I haven't had much luck with that. It sometimes works when he is hungry and warm, but other times he ignores and fights any efforts on my part to get him to move. Sometimes I have to get help to pick up my 100+ sully and move him where I want him. I'd love to find an easier solution to this. Getting him to walk from his warm basement into the cold dark garage before reaching the nice outdoors might be problematic.

For an adult sulcata, a heat lamp would concentrate the heat in too small of a place and isn't recommended for larger animals.

There are members who keep sulcatas in cold climates.

KYMichelle

Kentucky
Oh yeah I should have mentioned the drain thing would be for liquid/semi liquids lol. The basement is unheated right now, but already stays warmer than the outside air by quite a bit. My laundry is down there too and the pipes right now are not insulated and don't freeze. The room is partly underground which helps a great deal I imagine. Does mean there're no windows though so I'll have to add plenty of light.

Heat lamp thing makes sense. I'll look into other options on that!

I will be building an outdoor pen for the summer months, so he will only be moving twice a year barring tornados. For that I'd like to get a low concrete or brick shelter built with a door. I was watching a video on youtube by a guy with 11 adult sulcatas (green with envy) during a hurricane who used something similar. He also had a way to sort of herd them which seemed effective. Kamp Kenan is the name.

About 3:50 you can see him moving one. At 14.55 he herds them into the shelter. Seems like between the two it would be reasonably possible to move him around as much as I'd need to. The door to this room is maybe 3 feet from the garage door too, so he should be able to easily see the nice sunny yard and respond accordingly I hope lol. I imagine getting him inside in the fall will be much more difficult. XD

KYMichelle

Kentucky
Oh wow, what a great idea! That looks so much better than what I was picturing. Will definitely take note and add that to my plans. <3 Thanks!

lighthiker2

5 Year Member
My 4.5 yr old 80# boy goes outside in the yard with me on nice days for a while (he has a large outdoor setup with lots of sun, a house, natural shelters and grazing areas) but is staying in the basement back room which is set up for him. Temps and humidity are good, his usb light is on a timer, and he is comfortable and eats well, although not as much as in naturally warmer months where he is totally outside. His tendency to retreat to his burrow instead of his outdoor house was making it a true challenge to get him put to bed at night--thus the decision to make the basement his winter bedroom. I keep the Tort Taxi beside the basement door for transport...I and going to need an Aero Cart next year to work as a Hoyer Lift ;)

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
My 4.5 yr old 80# boy goes outside in the yard with me on nice days for a while (he has a large outdoor setup with lots of sun, a house, natural shelters and grazing areas) but is staying in the basement back room which is set up for him. Temps and humidity are good, his usb light is on a timer, and he is comfortable and eats well, although not as much as in naturally warmer months where he is totally outside. His tendency to retreat to his burrow instead of his outdoor house was making it a true challenge to get him put to bed at night--thus the decision to make the basement his winter bedroom. I keep the Tort Taxi beside the basement door for transport...I and going to need an Aero Cart next year to work as a Hoyer Lift ;)
What does your tort taxi look like?

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
In Ohio and my sulcata lives in a heated basement room for winter as well. I have a concrete floor and I put thick rubber flooring over top of it to help insulate. I have a ceiling mounted heater that is on a thermostat and I have a night box with an oil-filled heater built using Tom's threads as a guide. I also have UVB bulbs mounted right above his food bowl and his soaking dish which is a big plastic foot wash tray. Mine only weighs about 35 lbs right now so we are also working on insulating his barn where he lives in summertime and hooking up heat from our outdoor wood burner. It is possible it's expensive and messy sometimes but it is possible.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
A member here @vladimir has a large indoor area for his sully. Not in the basement.
The heated night box is elevated with a ramp to it. Vladimir climbs the ramp every night to go to bed.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
When he gets really big and heavy you will need to have an exit too the outside as you won't be able to carry him.
It can work though.
However, why not make it easier on you and build an insulated heated shed. I have leopards, much smaller then a sully. They live in a shed for winter and in summer they can come and go from shed to outside as they please.