Converting a Bookcase

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rutagonzo

5 Year Member
Hi all!

My name is Charls, and I am converting a bookshelf I am planning to buy into a tortoise enclosure. The only question I have is how to line it with shower curtains. I'm kind of confused about this process, and I would be very thankful if someone could explain the process for me. Thank you.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southwest Washington
Remove the shelves (or use one on the end for a hide if you make a roof and cut a door).
Get a 'heavy duty' shower curtain. Or a tarp.

Place the bookshelf on its back on the floor. Position the liner over the book shelf and push it down so it is tight across the floor of the enclosure and up against the walls (use bricks or books to hold it down). Then, in the corners, fold the liner just as if you were wrapping a present.
You can use a staple gun to attach it to the top of the sides, or fold it over the sides and staple it to the outside.
(you can also use Gorilla duct tape).
Cut off any excess.

If you have a tortoise that really likes to dig (Russian), consider using something thicker like a piece of pond liner, or shower pan liner (home supply stores).

theelectraco

5 Year Member
You may also need to reinforce the back (bottom) panel with plywood if it just thin particle board.

Rutagonzo

5 Year Member
lynnedit said:
Remove the shelves (or use one on the end for a hide if you make a roof and cut a door).
Get a 'heavy duty' shower curtain. Or a tarp.

Place the bookshelf on its back on the floor. Position the liner over the book shelf and push it down so it is tight across the floor of the enclosure and up against the walls (use bricks or books to hold it down). Then, in the corners, fold the liner just as if you were wrapping a present.
You can use a staple gun to attach it to the top of the sides, or fold it over the sides and staple it to the outside.
(you can also use Gorilla duct tape).
Cut off any excess.

If you have a tortoise that really likes to dig (Russian), consider using something thicker like a piece of pond liner, or shower pan liner (home supply stores).

Thanks!

kirby2591

5 Year Member
I did this for my enclosure also. The backing was cardboard so I removed that and replaced it with 1/8" plywood I had laying around. I lined the inside with 3mil plastic drop cloth for painting. So far this has worked fine for me, however my greek tort doesn't seem to dig down. To help keep the liner against the floor n walls I used double sided tape between the liner and wood.

Rutagonzo

5 Year Member
Would using a water proofing aerosol spray have the same effect? Are they dangerous for tortioses?

Rutagonzo

5 Year Member
kirby2591 said:
I did this for my enclosure also. The backing was cardboard so I removed that and replaced it with 1/8" plywood I had laying around. I lined the inside with 3mil plastic drop cloth for painting. So far this has worked fine for me, however my greek tort doesn't seem to dig down. To help keep the liner against the floor n walls I used double sided tape between the liner and wood.

Would using something like this have the same effect as a shower curtain? http://m.homedepot.com/p/Trimaco-9-ft-x-12-ft-0-7-mil-Plastic-Drop-Cloth-03307/203603301/ If so, that would be great, because my local hardware store sells it 9 x 12 really cheap.

Lasciels Toy

5 Year Member
Florida
Rutagonzo said:
Would using a water proofing aerosol spray have the same effect? Are they dangerous for tortioses?

The spray will never get thick enough to work like that, unless you did like 15+ coats lol. I wouldn't suggest any kind of sealer unless you put in a more durable back then the cardboard that is typically on bookshelves. If you do replace it, then all you need to do is give it 2 or 3 coats of poly (dries in about an hour) then silicone the cracks. You can use those plastic drop clothes but make sure you use the thickest versions they offer, the think ones tear easily.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Agreed. Even with sealing the wood, you would probably need a liner, because you generally keep at least the underlayers of the substrate moist.
Again, depending on the kind of tortoise you are getting, a very thick drop cloth might work. A Russian tortoise would probably dig through it. What you don't want is to have to change the enclosure substrate out because the liner ripped.

A Fiberglass epoxy resin will be enough by itself. Sold at Home supply stores. You can mix and pour over the bottom of your enclosure and brush some up the sides. That will waterproof your enclosure w/o a liner, but not sure much else will do that. (polyurethane, etc., will protect the wood but probably guard the wood against wet substrate).

Eloise's mommy

5 Year Member
Utah
Tom always says he doesn't use anything to seal plywood....if the back is reinforced with plywood and the side of the bookshelf are covered in laminate....wouldn't it only be neccessary to caulk the seams?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
No, book cases are interior items of furniture and not made out of wood that is treated to withstand moisture. The book case would have to be protected.

Eloise's mommy

5 Year Member
Utah
emysemys said:
No, book cases are interior items of furniture and not made out of wood that is treated to withstand moisture. The book case would have to be protected.

I see. Well that is that...I guess that this method will not be an option for me as Eloise grows because I don't like the plastic showing...superficial? maybe but I want her front and center in my living room so I can always see her. lol in the winter any ways.

Lasciels Toy

5 Year Member
Florida
Eloise's mommy said:
Tom always says he doesn't use anything to seal plywood....if the back is reinforced with plywood and the side of the bookshelf are covered in laminate....wouldn't it only be neccessary to caulk the seams?

Your typical cheap bookshelf (walmart, target, any chain store) is made of particle board with a paper laminate (although I did install a $3,000 bathroom cabinet imported from Italy that snapped right in half because of damage during shipping....and because they used particle board to make it lol). Particle board, like MDF, will absorb moisture and expand and weaken. I've seen alot of cheap desks do that from people leaving cold cups on them without a coaster. Even a more expensive and properly sealed/protected solid wood bookself will typically have a thick cardboard backer.

kirby2591

5 Year Member
Rutagonzo said:
Would using something like this have the same effect as a shower curtain? http://m.homedepot.com/p/Trimaco-9-ft-x-12-ft-0-7-mil-Plastic-Drop-Cloth-03307/203603301/ If so, that would be great, because my local hardware store sells it 9 x 12 really cheap.

It will have the same effect however a shower curtain liner will be thicker/durable. If you can look for the 3mil drop cloth instead of the 0.7mil... should only be a buck or 2 more and will be a lot thicker. 3mil was the thickest I could find w/o buying 200ft of it :)

Here are a few pics of Juno's Enclosure
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Substrate is really dry. Been a few days since i mixed it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.