Converting large aquarium to a tortoise habitat....looking for help

primetime34

Location (City and/or State)
Idaho
So I have a 4' T8 fixture that I wanted to repurpose for this enclosure...are these the best bulbs to get to put in it? https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075M1BBD4/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

I know I would need a basking bulb of some sort, but these bulbs should cover the uva/uvb needs of the tortoise, right?

Or is there a better (either in quality or value) bulb that I could fit into my 4' T8 fixture?

primetime34

Idaho
Now I'm leaning towards doing a t8 LED full spectrum bulb in the fixture, and adding a mercury vapor bulb for uva/uvb/basking needs. Any recommendations on the best valued mercury vapor bulb?

daniellenc

Maryland
I had initially bought a 100 watt power sun MVB but didn’t end up using it. They can’t be hooked to a thermostat and it had my cage well over 110 degrees in less than two hours. Thankfully I didn’t have my guy yet. Have you looked into CHE’s?

primetime34

Idaho
I haven't looked at a CHE yet....I have a 48" T8 fixture that I'd like to use. I'm planning on growing a few plants (tortoise safe and in pots) in the habitat as well. My latest thought is to do the following for lighting, but I'm open to other ideas/suggestions:

Use a couple of T8 led bulbs (daylight white color, between 5000K and 6500K) in that 48" fixture. On the other side of the tank, have bulbs that emit the UVA/UVB rays necessary...I was thinking about a single bulb for that purpose, but it might not work and get too hot. So I can use a dual light fixture and put one of each bulb in and let the UVA bulb double as the basking bulb.

Other thoughts on what might work?