Convincing Parents to get me a Leopard

Status
Not open for further replies.

PoisonOrchid

5 Year Member
Hiya! :)
SO I've been off for a bit due to schooling and other things, but I'm back again.

Recently, I went to a pet store nearby and fell in love with an adorable 4in Leopard. He was only $100! That's the cheapest I've seen them! :) however, mom and dad don't seem interested in torts anymore. (how dare they)!
Theyre worried about digging and that they will ruin all of our plants. We have an large space I can keep him in and we have a huge spare dog house in which we can add in a heater.
I also studied and heard leos dont burrow much, unless nesting.
My parents are pretty easy to convince, once they get the facts. Of course some bad things are that they get big and can be destructive. This area we have is wooden fenced, but we have lots or spare fencing, which will make escaping near impossible. The area is also protected. :)
Some benefits I found are:
-Major weed control in the garden
We have lots of taro leaves(we have a plot of land which we harvest and sell to the indian market because back in my parents homeland(Fiji)taro leaves are a delicacy), and from my understanding, if fed properly, torts wont eat stuff that isnt good for them. Weeds(dandelions) fllourish in there however. I know that the dandelions would make great treats for him! :)
-Quiet
Aside from noise that he might make pittering about, he wont be loud. Not like my bird who likes screaming until I pick her up and cuddle with her. :) My parents hate the noise she makes :p I love it :)
-He might make me smarter!
Of course! Anytime I get a pet. I study about them, and even after, I read more about them. But dont we all on here :)
-Its just like having turtles, but on land and they get huge!
I have red ear sliders. 3 HUGE girls infact. And in the winter time, our bill goes up because of them. The filters, lights, and feeding can get a bit high on price. With a tort, I estimated the price for heating and feeding is MUCH less for a leo than an aquatic.
- I already have stuff for him! :)
I have a spare dog house which has a light fixture built in. Its an XL dog igloo, so he can stay in this forever. I also have a bunch of new paint mixing bins. And also lots of UV lights. We eat TONS of veges here and my friend has a big optunia plant which I can get free pad from anytime! :) Hay is really cheap.
-Cleaning
I already pick up dog poo, and clean fish tanks, and a bird cage, I dont think torty poop is gonna be too hard.
Sooo thats all I got so far(or that I remember) lol.
Anything else? :)
Thanks! :D

Sorry I used a billion smileys :p

Torty Mom

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Bakersfield, California
You do all those chores? I think I love you! Would your parents want to trade you for my 18 year old son? He is potty trained!! Anywoo, if you were my kiddo and you presented that scenario, you would get your wish no problem! Yes, torties are pretty low key, but you need to ask your parents if they would be willing to cough up some money for a vet bill in case something happens. Other than that, I think you have a great plan and for what it's worth, I think you did a great job, ya done good kiddo!! Go get 'um!!!

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
Where do you live?
Are you going away to college?
going to live in a Apt in teh next 10 years?
what about the next 50 years?
can YOU afford it?
They are quiet Not destructive like a sulcata, dont dig, Might have to live Indoors for a few years..
You sound like a good candidate,, but your parents will have to fill in some time frame there...

JeffG

5 Year Member
Arizona
You mentioned "huge" a couple of times. I don't consider leopards huge at all. They do fine in almost any backyard. They don't dig, and mine haven't damaged ANYTHING. I honestly think they are a perfect addition to almost any backyard in a warm climate. Good luck convincing your parents!

Mao Senpai

5 Year Member
North Carolina
Leopards.... are not destructive in my opinion, of the 4 I've owned non did the digging thing. My greeks way more destructive... digging, knocking stuff over, pushing stuff, ramming bumping arg!. They don't get big overnight... it will take several years for them to get big which will be around 18 inches. In terms of care I think they are easy. Way more easy than a turtle in my opinion as you're not dealing with a lot of water...

PoisonOrchid

5 Year Member
Thanks.
Yes of course! I know its really weird, but I kinda like cleaning. Except cleaning the kitchen cause mom yells at me cause its not good enough(she needs it sparkling clean or else its dirty). But yes I love cleaning!
Modesto! :) I love this place! :)
For College, I plan on staying at home. I will go to junior college and will go to a local college. I want to be a doctor but the local college(well an hour drive is local to me :p ) has a great medical program. SO yes, being here is a good thing.
As for living in an apt, I don't think so. I love our city. A lot in fact. I actually plan on staying here when I'm older :)
I'm pretty sure I CAN afford it. My parents give me $10 per week. Yes I know that this is not enough, however, my parents end up buying the food and paying bills and the vet bill(even though we hardly need to go to the vet). For the first month, I will pay fore EVERYTHING myself, but my parents feel bad and start buying stuff instead. :)
In the next 50 years? Hmmm. I will probably still be here. With a family. And I'm pretty sure that the Leo will be alive(Animal Medicine is making huge leaps! I'm sure that he should be fine).

Thanks! :)

Oh one question I have.
well 2 rather.
Getting a new pet and a new environment causes much stress. My question is, whats the acclimation process for torties? I never seemed to find that info.
Like do I soak him first? Leave him in his house? Feed him?
He is about 4 inches, so I think he shouldn't go through too much stress(not like a hatchling).

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Acclimation time varies depending on the tortoise in all honesty. Some don't need any time and start eating right away, others take a few days and some take a few weeks, there is no real way to tell. If you do get it a good soak is probably the best thing you can do for it, I can understand your parent's concern, but leo's don't usually dig and they are no way near as destructive as a sulcata.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Ivy:

Glad things are settling down for you so you can come back to the forum!

I hope you are able to convince your parents. Leopards are nice tortoises.

PoisonOrchid

5 Year Member
Update:
I got dad pretty convinced. :) And we might MIGHT MIGHT get the Leo tomorrow! :) Mom isn't really moved by the whole thing, but today, it was dad and I who went grocery shopping and I got him a little convinced. Hopefully it fall through well :)

Fernando

10 Year Member!
Southern California
There are a lot of smily faces going on.

I can imagine your expressions if you were in person. HAHA. So animated!

PoisonOrchid

5 Year Member
Lol People tell me that a lot. :) I suppose its true

So here is the enclosures that he will have
This is the growing/temporary enclouse. Its about 8 feet X 6 feet.
My camera lighting was spazzing out so the pic isnt that great.
But It has the dog house(we arent going to use the dog loo till later... :/
But the dog carrier is fine I suppose.
So there is the dog carrier and the food dish(which is bigger than him so he can hop in and pig out! :D )(its actually a plant plate).
I will get a water dish in when I find it(I seemed to have misplaced it). There is some grass, but not a whole lot(we dont water this side much... :/ ). But dandelions grow here often. But dad cut the grass so there arent any.
It gets about 6-7 hours of sunlight daily, which I think he would love! :)

photo1.jpg

Here is the soaking tub. Literally a big ol tub thing. I'll wash it out tomorrow. Nice and big so maybe he can pitter about in there :)
photo5-2.jpg

Here is the grab bag as I call it. Its a big old preformed pond that has holes in it. I decided to use it as a planter. It has aloe vera, taro leaves, dandelions(theyre small), grass, clovers, and other weeds and some weird plants. I can probably feed him some of these.
photo2-1.jpg

next is the run. This place has tons of random weeds and dandelions and mint and I think there is a tiny thingy of kale growing. This is where I can let him roam in for a bit and chomp on greens. I'll let him graze on the grass too. But of course, he will be supervised. :)
photo3-2.jpg

And this is his future permanent home. Its about 20-30 feet by 8 feet wide. Its a big mess now but we shall get it cleaned and get the dog igloo in there. I plan on having him there within 2 months. :)
photo4-1.jpg

Comments? Concerns? Criticism is much appreciated! :)

Fernando

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Just a couple. The Temporary enclosure gate looks like it has big openings for a 4 inch leo. It might escape. Also, are you planning on keeping it outside 24/7? Do you have an indoor enclosure on cold nights?

Installing water bowls and food bowls flushed with the ground help a lot.

Oh and I'm glad your going to wash that soaking tub :)

PoisonOrchid

5 Year Member
Yes Indeed. Actually, tomorrow, everything will be sanitized and washed :)
the openings are 3 inches. However, I put one of my 4 inch Sliders in there, and she couldnt get out.
I forgot to add this part.
Since he is 4 inches, correction, the store says hes almost 5, but lets stick to 4.
But since he is so small, in the cold, he will come inside. The dog carrier is perfectly sized so he can sleep indoors when its cold at night(however our summer nights are SUPER hot, so SOME nights, he will be outside, but if the temp gets below 75, hes coming in(even in winter time, our home stays snug and warm).
But yes, I have an indoor place for him.
When he is a bit bigger, we will get a pig heater and keep him outside :)

Forgot to mention.
Our nights have been cold for the past week(we are moving into summer weather), so he will be coming in for a few days :)
Another thing. I should still mist him daily, correct?

DixieParadise

5 Year Member
Georgetown, TX
Wow, I can tell YOU have really given this some thought. I think you sound reasonable and responsible. I agree with last poster about the gap in the wire fencing. Maybe you could outline with 2 x 6 board on the exposed sides. Good idea about the dog crate. I learn something new everyday on this site. And Yes...wash out the tub :D

Good Luck with your parents and make sure you post some pictures if you win them over....

PoisonOrchid

5 Year Member
Can I line the outside with cinder blocks? Or even use 2 by 4s? I dont have any 2 by 6s but I have lots of 2 by 4s :)
The dog crate came in handy indeed. :)
Should I lock him in at night? We have dogs to help keep the cats away, and we dont get coons or birds of pray, or wolves etc. But should I?

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
Sounds like you have it all worked out and it's just a matter of getting the small details worked out. 2x4 will work fine if you are using it to line the outside and it's always cheaper to use what you already have on hand when possible.

Fernando

10 Year Member!
Southern California
You can mist your little Leo during the hottest part of the day. Just make sure that there is plenty of hides and shades around for the little dude to run and hide under if it gets too hot. If you have shade and hides and you miss a day just make sure there is water available or at least a soak sometime during the day.

PoisonOrchid

5 Year Member
Thanks! :)
So all thats left for me to do is the sanitizing, and cleaning. And making the borders for the enclosure.
I dont think we will sink the water and food bowls into the ground only because its gonna make big holes and idk why, but dad doesnt want me doing that :/
Is the enclosure big enough?
And for misting, I will do it daily. But yes there will be a soak bowl. I will also add in another hide and add in a potted plant :)

Fernando

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Maybe this will help. You can use it for soaking and it allows your little tort to go in and out easier. It won't make big holes and your Pops won't get mad at you ;)

phpaYjmiF.jpg

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
@ Fernando I have looked at those at Home Depot and they seem too flimsy, unless that one is made out of thicker plastic than what I have seen. My boxie has a preformed pond with ramp, but it is not that big. I am going to get one of those terra cotta planter dishes. That might work for you too Ivy.
BTW~You seem like a very mature kid. I also have a 17 year old son I would like to trade in. Have your parents PM me if they want to make a trade J/K LOL!

Status
Not open for further replies.