Convincing Parents to get me a Leopard

Status
Not open for further replies.

PoisonOrchid

5 Year Member
Lol. I'm 17 too! :) I think I'm pretty responsible. Well responsible to keep pets and clean. :)
I was looking at some other enclosures on here and a terra cotta planter dish may be a good thing :)
So my feed bowl is plastic and the water bowl should be terra cotta. Hopefully I might have on here.

Fernando

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
There are tons of different ones. I know which flimsy ones your talking about. I bought a bright orange one from Home Depot that was made of hard plastic. They work well.

DixieParadise

5 Year Member
Georgetown, TX
I think someone already answered....but yes, 2x4 will work. Especially if you already have them. Cinderblocks will work as well. I am sorry for the confusion of my advice.

PoisonOrchid

5 Year Member
Its totally ok :) lol
Will i need to lock him up if hes asleep at night?

Another question.
Inside his dog carrier/house, will i need something in there or can I keep it bare?

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
I would. It is just safer that way. Then you know for sure that no predators can get at him. After a few times of putting him in the kennel to sleep he should learn to go there by himself as it gets dark, and then just lock the door. Peace of mind.

Fernando

10 Year Member!
Southern California
PoisonOrchid said:
Its totally ok :) lol
Will i need to lock him up if hes asleep at night?

Another question.
Inside his dog carrier/house, will i need something in there or can I keep it bare?

If it's warm, lock it up and cover the top from predators. Preferably yes keep something inside just soft so your tort can burrow and stay warm in. Clean dirt, cypress mulch, coco coir etc.

PoisonOrchid

5 Year Member
SO maybe I can put some potting soil in there. And maybe take a blankey and cover it at night(so he feels more secure)(of course leaving openings for air :D ).
I didn't know that they knew how to put themselves into their houses. I thought we have to carry them in... AWESOME!

I'm really sorry for asking sooo many questions. But this is rather a diet question
So I think I'll be alternating on the diet.
One day, he will receive a garden salad mix. Well veges in general from the supermarket. :) We have bok choy in the back that he can get too :)
The next day, grass/hay, clovers and dandelion greens.
As a treat, once a week, I'll add in a tiny bit of fruit. I mean maybe a small sugar cube sized fruit. On this day, I will also feed opuntia and aloe vera.
On occasion, I'll add in some hibiscus. But not often.
Will supplementing with Vitamins be needed?

PoisonOrchid

5 Year Member
Also, will soaking daily to every other day be fine? Of course he will have access to fresh water daily

OllieInAZ

5 Year Member
Tempe, AZ
I believe optunia can be fed more regularly. I know many people feed their torts optunia several times per week.

Yes, daily soaks are good.

You're doing a great job asking all the right questions first. Im sure you'll be a great leopard keeper!

Fernando

10 Year Member!
Southern California
I'd personally leave the fruit out until it's a bit older especially if your going to try and feed it hay (which younger torts aren't usually a fan of from what I've heard.) as Ollie said daily soaks should be done regularly unless you notice he's getting a lot of water on his own and pooping regularly. Hibiscus is a good food to feed regularly with mixture.

Status
Not open for further replies.