cool big black snake on porch

Pearly

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Central Texas, Austin area
He's back again today, 1 day later.
View attachment 174298
Watch out! You may end up domesticating him! or her?... or do you have a way of knowing that?.... He sure is pretty. And biiiiiiiggggg! Long! Gives me little creeps but not too bad. I think I might be beginning to convert from my snake phobia. Now one thing I never see myself converting out of, is my arachnophobia. People with those big tarantulas.... I know they like them but me.... NO! For me they are ew-ew-ewwwww!

surfergirl

no spiders for me either...makes my skin crawl thinking about them. I am good so long as they do not get too close..worst experience for me is walking into a web....ewwwwwwewww

Loohan

5 Year Member
North-Central Arkansas
Black kingsnakes are active almost exclusively by day, but are most active in the morning during the summer. They are strong constrictors and consume a variety of prey including snakes, lizards, rodents, birds, and turtle eggs. Kingsnakes are resistant to the venom of pit-vipors and they readily eat copperheads, cottonmouths, and rattlesnakes.

Interesting. I have seen other kinds of kingsnakes here. However, i suspect this rat snake might be more likely:reptiles_snakes_blackrat.jpg

surfergirl

Yep Rat snakes are good too. Read an article yesterday about copperheads in atlanta. People are releasing rats and king snakes in their yards to help control coppers. I had one shed a skin in my pump house for my pond. Little shed but big enough... I definitely will be filling the area where i think he is hunting for frogs and never put my hands where i cannot see them. :O
i have seen 3 copperheads near my house in 21 years so not really a big deal yet here.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
I'm with you on this one~~:(:(

Loohan

5 Year Member
North-Central Arkansas
We got lots of copperheads here. I usually see a few per year.
And yes, this guy is acting pretty tame. This is how i was greeted when i came home form work just a while ago:
(that's 4 days out of the last 5 i've seen him here)
blacksnake5.22.16.jpg

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
It's good you just let him hangout . I am the crazy one that goes and finds snakes to put under the house an tortoise shed so they will eat field mice . I'd rather have snakes around than mice an other animals that will hurt my tortoises . I did find a water snake in my pond trying to eat my fish so I took him off in the woods . Snakes are a good part of nature .

Pearly

5 Year Member
Yep Rat snakes are good too. Read an article yesterday about copperheads in atlanta. People are releasing rats and king snakes in their yards to help control coppers. I had one shed a skin in my pump house for my pond. Little shed but big enough... I definitely will be filling the area where i think he is hunting for frogs and never put my hands where i cannot see them. :O
i have seen 3 copperheads near my house in 21 years so not really a big deal yet here.
Now, those do scare me more. What do you do when you run into one in your garden? Catch&relocate?

Pearly

5 Year Member
We got lots of copperheads here. I usually see a few per year.
And yes, this guy is acting pretty tame. This is how i was greeted when i came home form work just a while ago:
(that's 4 days out of the last 5 i've seen him here)
View attachment 174394
I think it's really cool how he has claimed your house as his teritory. You have a guardian now! Will have give him a name!

Rue

Canada
Now you're going to have to make sure no one steps on him! ...you'll have to build a special snake bridge!

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
Seems he likes the metal threshold strip. At least he will probably keep the solicitors away.

I have met gopher snakes like that who don't care that YOU are in their territory. My dad used to have to flip his yard snake out of his way over and over while restocking the wood pile because the snake was on the hunt.

Pearly

5 Year Member
Seems he likes the metal threshold strip. At least he will probably keep the solicitors away.

I have met gopher snakes like that who don't care that YOU are in their territory. My dad used to have to flip his yard snake out of his way over and over while restocking the wood pile because the snake was on the hunt.
Yeap! Personal Guardian, Security Forces, Secret Service, Bodyguard... any of those functions would fit. I bet the potential burglar would think twice before trying to break in:) I'm reading all your posts about snakes and it amazes me how you guys peacefully coexist with them and I love it! It helps me work through my phobia (what's left of it) and encourages me to have the hope in someday being able to fully and lovingly, completely embrace the Nature. With all her living things. Without exceptions. I'm trying to raise my kids that way but at times I feel like a fraud with my crazy phobias. I may have to take on an apprenticeship with some herp enthusiast to spend time, learn, get inspired and get some hands on:)

Loohan

5 Year Member
North-Central Arkansas
I don't think he's sick.
Early afternoon i saw him drinking out of the stock tank that catches rain off the roof. His head was dangling down to drink. By the time i got my camera, he was done and slithering back to his domain on my front step. At one point he gags and throws up a bit of water, but he seems fine. Video:
Over 2 hours later, he is still sitting on the top steps.