cool big black snake on porch

Loohan

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
North-Central Arkansas
Right now i got my buddy visiting me:
blacksnake5.16.jpg

This is a friend of mine i have seen a couple times in my garden area. We have an understanding. I think he likes me. Why would a snake choose such an exposed spot?
It is overcast this morning, so he's not basking.

Close-up:
Er, the software won't let me upload a 2nd pic for some reason. Will try to append.

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
He maybe cool and all that, but I don't want him on my porch! Ever! I'd freak out if I saw him like that by my door. I can tell he's not venomous, still.... Big!!!!! And..,... brrrrrrr! Gives me creeps!

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
Aww adorable. Do you know what kind?
My boyfriend was sad the other day when I was playing with a garter snake and then let it go before he could hold it.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
He is beautiful! Looks like a black rat snake. Gorgeous creature.

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
He doesn't seem to mind sharing the porch with you. I'd probably be setting up a water dish for him, but I do that for toads and newts too.

Rue

Canada
Hahaha. Love that photo. Only a snake can chill like that! :)

surfergirl

there is warmth(rocks hold heat from sun for days, even overcast days....and there's food there getting warm too.... maybe rodents, moles, ground squirrels, mice, something good to eat he says. kinda looks like a black kingsnakes we have in ga, the one my neighbor was going to kill. these are the good guys very cool snakes. upload_2016-5-21_21-2-40.pngFEEDING HABITS: Black kingsnakes are active almost exclusively by day, but are most active in the morning during the summer. They are strong constrictors and consume a variety of prey including snakes, lizards, rodents, birds, and turtle eggs. Kingsnakes are resistant to the venom of pit-vipors and they readily eat copperheads, cottonmouths, and rattlesnakes.