cool big black snake on porch

Pearly

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Central Texas, Austin area
I haven't gotten around to stretching him out along a tape measure, but i think he is over 7' long and maybe as much as 8' or close to it.
No???! Shame on you! :) still, estimated 7feet... Wow!!!! That's a one big snake!!! No wonder he's not bashful is Angie much smaller?

Rue

Canada
My rat snake was also about 7 feet long, but your guy looks like he has a bigger girth. Different species of course.

Loohan

5 Year Member
North-Central Arkansas
Yeah, he's a chunky guy and i suspect he eats a lot of mice 'n stuff. I dunno what the lifespan is of these things, or how much time he has left, but he seems to be going strong.

Rue

Canada
In the wild it's hard to say, and captive animals haven't been kept captive all that long, but I've read anywhere from 7-30 years, lol.

Loohan

5 Year Member
North-Central Arkansas
I seem to sense him around but haven't seen him. But i saw Angie a couple weeks ago. She dropped from the ledge under the stairs onto the ground, then raced off nervously across the driveway into the woods.
She sure is big. Almost as big as Fred.

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
I seem to sense him around but haven't seen him. But i saw Angie a couple weeks ago. She dropped from the ledge under the stairs onto the ground, then raced off nervously across the driveway into the woods.
She sure is big. Almost as big as Fred.
Poor thing, that must have scared her

Loohan

5 Year Member
North-Central Arkansas
Poor thing, that must have scared her
She deliberately dropped. Made some noise, too, as there are some old leaves down there. And she's a big old snake.
I think if she weren't so skittish she would not have dropped. But she saw me coming, and even though she must be pretty aware i'm her friend, she is nervous and probably dropped to get out of there fast.

Loohan

5 Year Member
North-Central Arkansas
Funny that i can seldom upload a 2nd pic in the same post, and also now vids won't embed. There are 2 vid links above.

And here is another pic. Those blocks are 16".Fred9.6.16a.jpg

Loohan

5 Year Member
North-Central Arkansas
So odd that the pic DID upload both tries, but there was no way to see that until i posted. And once i posted i tried to delete the thumbnails, but again, they do not show up in the edit box.

Loohan

5 Year Member
North-Central Arkansas
I meant to say, regarding the first vid:
I initially involuntarily leapt backwards several feet upon seeing a snake, which seems to have spooked him.
I got my camera and tried to sweet-talk him, but he slowly backed down the hole! That metallic noise is from his scales rubbing backwards against the edge of the steel flashing. I hope he didn't lose any scales.
Just a couple seconds after i turned the camera off, he had disappeared.