cool big black snake on porch

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Lancaster
They are also known as black rat snakes here, and i have also seen varying amounts of brown on them.
Do some of your's look all black? I've been looking half the day to see the black snakes in my area online. I know they have to be black rat because of their size but I've never seen any color but black on the ones I've seen in my area. Maybe I didn't notice or the light camouflaged them. Sorry it's kinda an interesting subject to me. It's been a mystery to me as to why I've not been bit. I would have if I were them.?

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Yes, most of them are all black or nearly so. I am not sure whether the same individual's color might change at times.
Yea that is what I've always seen too. Yet Ohio web sites for Ohio snakes is showing the black rat with patterns with white and different colors. I was beginning to wonder if my mind was still intact. I can't remember seeing a black snake with any color but black. I was thinking also maybe it's a color specifically for my area. I'm not sure of the color change at times either. I've never seen one come out of hibernation.

Chubbs the tegu

Ma
Yes, most of them are all black or nearly so. I am not sure whether the same individual's color might change at times.
Love the look of black rat snakes! Always wanted an eastern indigo snake! Their love of squirting poop everywhere held me back

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Love the look of black rat snakes! Always wanted an eastern indigo snake! Their love of squirting poop everywhere held me back
I forget the name of the snake here in Ohio that when it feels like it is loosing the fight it'll play possum ?