cool place to nest

Status
Not open for further replies.

cdmay

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Somewhere in Florida
One of my female cherryheads decided to nest in a neat place!

DSC02305.jpg

For size reference, she is now a full 13 inches.

jorrow

5 Year Member
Alabama
She is a very pretty tort.... Congrads, I wonder if she nested there because it looks well protected or what???

shawngt2

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Toronto
That's awesome. Congrats Carl!

Shawn

cdmay

10 Year Member!
Somewhere in Florida
Josh,
Almost invariably they will nest against something--a bush, shrub or tree. In my yard they seem to prefer nesting against my fence. But they have also nested against their wooden shelters, large pots and inside a low Ficus hedge. But never out in the open.
All three of these females prefer to nest along the fence or better yet, in a corner. The photos may not be that focused as I didn't want to disturb them. In two of these cases they were nesting on rainy evenings.
DSC03391.jpg

nestingfemale.jpg

DSC03156-1.jpg

Redfootedboxturtles

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
great pics. It would be cool to see more pictures from you. And of your pens. I would love to learn more from you and others who have experience. I am 25 and want to follow the lead of those with great experience.

REDFOOTMATT

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
CA
Great pics Carl, nice Bonsia also. My girls always seem to wait until around dusk or later to get started. By the time they finish it's usually late. Is that the norm with you? It looks like it's still daylight in some of those pics.

carrilac

5 Year Member
San Diego, CA
It never ceases to amaze me how beautiful your torts are. I don't think I’ve ever seen a cherryhead as red as the one in the top last photo. Thanks for sharing!

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Your bonsai are incredible Carl!! I went to school for Bonsai many years ago and still have quite a few. Most of mine are outside now buried under leaf litter for the winter. How old are yours....they are unbelievable looking. Do you have more? Your Cherries are beautiful too, but I just got so excited when I saw those Bonsai.

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
Beautiful Cherryhead. I didn't know that they grew 13 inches is this out of the ordinary? I have one, but he's only 6 inches. Candy:)

BigBiscuit

5 Year Member
Iowa, U.S.
cdmay said:
One of my female cherryheads decided to nest in a neat place!

DSC02305.jpg

For size reference, she is now a full 13 inches.

This is such a cute picture. She looks like a soldier defending her fort.

Evan

cdmay

10 Year Member!
Somewhere in Florida
Thanks for the replies...
I now only have a few bonsai trees but at one time I had about 30. The Ficus on the right I have been training for 12 years and the one on the left, for 10. I have a bunch of photos around here somewhere but like most of my tortoise photos, they are prints or slides.
As for the color on my adults I have only one really red one and I have had her since the mid 90s. This photo is of my big female named Darth Maul (sorry, long story) and she is the 13 incher. But I've seen many that size or larger. I had a 14 inch male back in the 80s.
DSC03457.jpg

My other adult cherryheads are more of a coral color or orange. The main breeding group is only 1.3 adults with a few juveniles I am raising. I have had a number of other cherryheads here and there though.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Carl, wonderful looking Cherryheads. I love the first Pic, looks as if she Posed for that one. Congratulations on the new eggs. Do you incubate them? or do you know how many she had?

cdmay

10 Year Member!
Somewhere in Florida
REDFOOTMATT said:
My girls always seem to wait until around dusk or later to get started. By the time they finish it's usually late. Is that the norm with you? It looks like it's still daylight in some of those pics.

Matt. With the cherryheads they seem to want to wait till the afternoon before starting. They have begun as early as 1:00 PM but the most common start time for me is right around 4:00 PM. Sometimes later of course, but the average is 4:00-4:30 PM.
My Colombians would often begin later though although this could have been for a variety of reasons not the least of which was the location of my home at the time I was breeding them and the amount of sunlight it received in the afternoon.
The eggs are always dug up and incubated when I know they have nested. Still, I have found a number of feral hatchlings wandering around that were clearly hatched in the ground.

carrilac

5 Year Member
San Diego, CA
I can't imagine how wonderful, exciting and shocking it would be to wake up one morning and find unexpected hatchlings on the loose!

Status
Not open for further replies.