Cooper Needs Help! Vomiting!

Status
Not open for further replies.

cemmons12

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Greenfield, In.
Ok so yesterday Cooper had the runny poo, then I tried to feed him last night and he wouldnt eat which is super strange! Then at 6:00am my wife came in running and saying something is wrong with Cooper, he was throwing up, and boy the whole house stinks from it! I was under the impression that torts dont normally throw up?? I need all the input on this I can get please! And feel free to text me because my dumb smart phone died again, so I am using on older phone with crap for internet. Thanks to all in advance, this is about to break my heart.
317-498-2364 is my cell number for anyone that can tell me what I need to do next. I gave him a bath now he is sleeping with me on the floor and he is wraped up in a heating blanket that stays around 90-100 degrees. :(:tort:

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
Chris, I hope Cooper is okay. Like you I was under the impression that tortoises did not throw up. Lately though, I have read of a few cases where they have. It seems, at least in the few cases I have read about, that soon afterward the tortoise returns to his normal routine with no lasting affects. Again, I hope this is the case with Cooper. Keep us posted, please.

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
Chris, i am so sorry! I have no experience with a vomiting tort. It sounds terrifying! I know that he is in the best possible care and send you both healing thoughts and love!

looneybug

5 Year Member
el cajon ca usa
I wish I knew more so I could help the only advice I have is to offer food and take it to the vet right away

luvpetz27

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
I wish I could also help you! I hate to hear this! I just love reading your posts about your torts!! I also justlove the pics you post! I really hope he feels better soon. Please keep us all informed!

AZtortMom

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sunny AZ
I hope you are taking him to the vet :(

cemmons12

5 Year Member
Greenfield, In.
Ok, so I didnt take him to the vet just yet, had he had some other symptoms I would have on the double. I was soooooooooo scared not to but I was waiting on my good buddy Tom to get home and post something. Ok, so the GREAT news is he did eat and he was starving!!! We didnt give him much cause I didnt want him to throw up more and get super dehydrated. Lucky for me my son has a bachlors of something or another and knows about animals like crazy, even tho we didnt talk for over 4 years, the last 6-8 months we are on speaking terms and he even huged me before he shot off to Oregon for a 5-6 month job watching and counting sea lions or something. He is a God send on animal matters! But I do hope to here from some of my expierenced friends on here. Sorry for mis-spelled words, as stressfull as this day has been spelling is no concern to me at this point. The really bad part of today, besides the scare to death, was we had doctor appointments and I had to leave Cooper in the living room floor in his nice warm heating blanket. I am so happy that he hasnt moved from it all day and he stays nice and toasty in it. He did move when the food came out for a nice hand feeding!! I know some may think that posting my cell number on here was VERY dumb, but as scared as I was I didnt/dont really care. I would be happy for ANYONE to text me if it means helping my bestest buddy on the planet. I cried a few times in private after I got him cleaned and layed down with me around 730 this morning. And on the way to our doctor all I could think of is what would my short time I have left here would be like if he passed, could I bare get another after I have bonded so much with Cooper?? I think the answer would be no for a while at least! I hate, as do we all, heart break, it hurts worse then the pain I face everyday from the Lupus and 2 tumors I have! Thank each and everyone of you for your kind words and support, it means more to me then you can even know! Anything else good or bad I will be sure to post right away, as I will need your thoughts/words for support either way! But as of this moment, he is doing really good, his tummy is even growling for more food! Thanks to you one and all!!! We love you guys and this forum very much, and thank you Josh for starting the best tortoise/turtle forum on the globe! Bless you all, from Cooper and myself! Man, this day has sucked for a few of us today, some more then others... I hope the future gets better for us all..... :(

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Hey buddy and tell Chunk O Dunk to stop messing with you....:D and Chris, I don't think I would get too crazy upset yet (likely too late for that)....yes, while it is uncommon for a tort to vomit, it is not a sign of immense danger. Now I know you are not going to want to hear this ....lol...but it could have been something as simple as Coop ingesting something he found in the floor when none of the humans were watching him???? Or he could have eaten some of his substrate while in his enclosure (well, when he is in there--teasing you again) and kinda blocked him up...and eventually hurling was the best option...

Now, I would on the other hand keep an eye on his behavior for the next few days to assure he is business as usual...I would also let his soaks be a little longer for the next few days as well to help assure he remains hydrated also if he remains lubed up if he does have something more to pass...it will be easier on him....

A vet visit would be in line if he does not continue back to his normal adorable self....or if you are freaking out and want him xray'd just to be certain all clear...

cemmons12

5 Year Member
Greenfield, In.
Thanks Angela. I was freaking out waiting on all my Cali connectios to get home and message me.. I will message u in a bit. :)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Extra special good vibes zooming your way for both you and the adorable Cooper. Incase you haven't been able to, I will be sending Tom a pm so as soon as he's on, he will know he needs to read this. I'm sure all will be fine. Please let us know though how all is going.

Tortoise

10 Year Member!
Canada
So sorry to see how Cooper was sick so suddenly but relieved it sounds like he is doing well again.
What a worrying time-that tortoise and Ophelia too must feel your love for them
keep up the good work and hoping he continues to feel better.

mytortET

5 Year Member
OMGosh! I'm happy to hear that Cooper is doing better! ;) Sending both of you well wishes and blessings for a speedy recovery.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
I'm glad to hear Cooper is eating again. You know, it's possible that this "eating machine" is getting far too much food, and he just had to throw it up:D Of course, I have no idea what I'm talking about. I'm just comparing Cooper to a human baby. When babies eat too much, they throw some of it up. Anyway, that's my 2 cents. Happy for your whole family :D:D

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Just got in. Sorry it took so long Chris.

I have only ever seen a tortoise throw up once. No explanation. No reason I could see. And that tortoise seemed fine afterward and is still growing up nice and healthy.

This is all I know man. I don't have any other info or advice for you. It's a pretty uncommon thing. Coop seems so healthy and vigorous all the time, it would be shocking to me for him to suddenly fall ill.

Hope he, and you, are all fine.

cemmons12

5 Year Member
Greenfield, In.
I thank you all for the well wishs and concern! So far all is well, thank God! I thought he was not gonna make it.. I called his vet and she said that since he ate to hold off bringing him in unless it happens again. The good thing is they are on call 24/7, its just a 30 minute drive. She said to keep him nice and warm which I always do after the URI he had when he was a little baby boy. And to soak him good and make sure he drinks which he did that as well. :) So I am now going to feed him a little more and pray it all keeps going good. I cleand all his stuff with super hot water and changed everything as well. So after he eats and stays in there for a bit to heat up under his light and his bottom heater to heat his underneath, I am going to have him sleep with me on the floor on his heating blanket, which is what he loves more then anything anyways, besides food! He loves to be in there with me and not in his habitat. And Tom, thanks for your input, knowing you have been thru it once makes me feel better! I will post on his progress in the am sometime, I am so exhausted from 2 hours of sleep that I need a break too! :p Thank you all so very much! From Cooper & Chris! :)

Shannon and Jason

5 Year Member
South Arkansas
I am so sorry you had such a scare.......I know from reading your threads that lil guy (well maybe not so lil lol) means the world to you. You are always so supportive to anyone who needs it and I wanted to let you know I am thinking of ya'll and praying he is better and stays in good health.

cemmons12

5 Year Member
Greenfield, In.
Thanks Ellien & Shannon! So far so good! But, I'm still waiting for him to poop, which I hope will be today, then I will be able to relax some more. He is eating good now at least! Have a great day!! :)

cemmons12

5 Year Member
Greenfield, In.
Well, today was a good day (if you enjoy waiting on your tort to poop!) :p ! So Cooper is all back to normal, thank God!! Thanks to everyone for your kind words and to all that gave me advice!! Have a great day today my friends!! :)
Cooper :tort: & Chris :D

Status
Not open for further replies.