Cooper's latest noise... :/

Status
Not open for further replies.

cemmons12

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Greenfield, In.
Ok, so here I go again with the worry wort syndrome. Cooper has been making this odd noise as of late. It sounds like he is trying to cough up a hairball but it sounds more like a human trying to cough up sputum. He seems to be doing it a lot more lately. Anyone ever had a Sulcata, or any tort for that matter, make this sort of noise? Also he has his mouth open just like I would if I was trying to spit up sputum. Thanks for any light you all can shed on this noise!! :) Have a great day forum friends!!

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Have you looked down his throat to see if anything possibly lodged in there? Chris you use coco coir right? So likely not from his substrate but maybe he chomped something while outside?? Does it sound wet and ooky? I am recalling correctly that you previously treated him for possible RI? Has he had any changes lately that would stress him? Has he been strolling in the house and maybe found something yummy to have eaten? Is he acting normal in every other way? No icky snot bubbles? Lethargy?

cemmons12

5 Year Member
Greenfield, In.
ascott said:
Have you looked down his throat to see if anything possibly lodged in there? Chris you use coco coir right? So likely not from his substrate but maybe he chomped something while outside?? Does it sound wet and ooky? I am recalling correctly that you previously treated him for possible RI? Has he had any changes lately that would stress him? Has he been strolling in the house and maybe found something yummy to have eaten? Is he acting normal in every other way? No icky snot bubbles? Lethargy?
I have not looked down his throat yet. Next time he yawns I will, as he does that a lot! Yes I use coco coir, and I also have his food and water bowl on a big tile that I keep wiped clean so I dont have to woory about him eating it so much. As far as outside I almost never let him out of my sight when he is out, no matter how long it is he is not left alone, but I am sure there is a chance he could have got ahold of something. He did have a URI when he was about 3 or 4 months old. But he has shown no other changes except for the cough thing. I have changed nothing in his enclosure that would cause him any stress. As far as roaming the house I make sure, once again, that I am with him and that there is nothing on the floor. And 90% of the time he only makes a few laps around and then he will cuddle up next to me on the heating blanket and go to sleep. Yes, I lay on the floor with him! LOL! He is only in the living room when he roams so its really easy to sweep it and block off any areas I dont want him to go into. So far there is no icky stuff from his eyes or nose thank god! Thanks for answering my post Angela!! :) I will be checking his throat as soon as I get back home. I will say the only thing that I have been doing a little different is we are back to soaking everyday, that way he can get his pee out in the bath and not in his enclosure or on my bed! That boy pee's a lot lol! Have a great day my friend!!

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Well Chris I would just keep track of when the sound started and how long it lasts and pay attention to if the sound progresses or if it subsides? Coop and Ophelia don't share the same yard do they? :D and I would not freak out quite yet....just keep eye on his other "normal" behaviors and see if perhaps what ever it is works itself out....I know you do not want to do this ...BUUUUT, you can set coop on your lap and slide your two fingers behind his head and hold his head still and get his mouth open so you can peek down there to see if there is anything there...if nothing great...and the additional soaking is good due to the warmer weather...:D

Status
Not open for further replies.