Cooper's lower jaw..

Status
Not open for further replies.

cemmons12

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Greenfield, In.
Ok, I hope 1 of these 2 pictures will sort of show what I am trying to say about his jaw. Its like little pieces break off, so is it normal or is this a whole new problem? And yes, I know, I am a damn worry wort! :p Any info will help ease my troubled mind, thanks my forum friends!!
IMG_20121114_225210-1.jpg

IMG_20121114_225202-1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

jtrux

5 Year Member
San Antonio, TX
Interesting, can't say I know what it is but for your sake I hope it's normal.

cemmons12

5 Year Member
Greenfield, In.
Just wonder since he is growing at a rate of 3 times the norm if maybe this could be a problem from that?.. But most likely its just me worrying myself to an earlier grave! Lol! Worst thing about having a buddy that can't speak, I need to learn tortonese! Haha!!

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Hey my friend !!!!! Are you by chance still cutting or breaking apart Coops food? I remember you use to do this.....:D

cemmons12

5 Year Member
Greenfield, In.
ascott said:
Hey my friend !!!!! Are you by chance still cutting or breaking apart Coops food? I remember you use to do this.....:D

Yes I still do this to an extent.. Chris hides in shame...

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California

Well, I have to share some tough love with you my friend :p The first thing you may want to do is well, uh...stop it :p

I believe that his lower beak is a little jagged because it is growing due to lack of ripping and tearing and working the food himself--which in turn will wear that lower beak down to a tidy snug fit and will then not have longer areas that can become brittle and break and crack---I cringe at the thought of him in pain with a torn/cracked beak---ESPECIALLY with this handsome Chunk O Dunk ---master lover of the precious tasty---FOOD ;)

Perhaps toss him a entire head of red leaf or romaine or green leaf or a head of raddicio....it is fun to hear them tear into it and munch---hearing that crisp bite sound---it is very funny and they seem to love to bite in and get it all over their face....(yes friend--a dirt food face :p) lol

cemmons12

5 Year Member
Greenfield, In.
Haha! I see your point Angela. Guess it's hard to let him grow up since he is "my" baby, in a way. So now the question is what is the best way to know he is getting enough to eat? Which he never thinks he does. But, seeing as how he is 16 inch's and like 20 pounds at 21 months, its hard for me to judge how much is enough... Thanks for any advice you can give me! :) I may have said this but the breeder I got Cooper from has 4 from his breed group and the biggest is 7 inch's. I can't believe that! And he can't believe Cooper's size either. Thanks to you all!

lori12386

5 Year Member
Central Florida
cemmons12 said:
Haha! I see your point Angela. Guess it's hard to let him grow up since he is "my" baby, in a way. So now the question is what is the best way to know he is getting enough to eat? Which he never thinks he does. But, seeing as how he is 16 inch's and like 20 pounds at 21 months, its hard for me to judge how much is enough... Thanks for any advice you can give me! :) I may have said this but the breeder I got Cooper from has 4 from his breed group and the biggest is 7 inch's. I can't believe that! And he can't believe Cooper's size either. Thanks to you all!
Wow he is big! Do you have pictures of all of him? Lol. Not just his face. Although his face is adorable!

cemmons12

5 Year Member
Greenfield, In.
lori12386 said:
cemmons12 said:
Wow he is big! Do you have pictures of all of him? Lol. Not just his face. Although his face is adorable!

I prolly have 60 pictures on here of him. Look at my "Cooper update" thread. Should be recent pic's there. Thanks for comment! :)

L82lalaland

5 Year Member
Lakeside, California
ascott said:

Well, I have to share some tough love with you my friend :p The first thing you may want to do is well, uh...stop it :p

I believe that his lower beak is a little jagged because it is growing due to lack of ripping and tearing and working the food himself--which in turn will wear that lower beak down to a tidy snug fit and will then not have longer areas that can become brittle and break and crack---I cringe at the thought of him in pain with a torn/cracked beak---ESPECIALLY with this handsome Chunk O Dunk ---master lover of the precious tasty---FOOD ;)

Perhaps toss him a entire head of red leaf or romaine or green leaf or a head of raddicio....it is fun to hear them tear into it and munch---hearing that crisp bite sound---it is very funny and they seem to love to bite in and get it all over their face....(yes friend--a dirt food face :p) lol

After reading this I realize I might be making a mistake. Should I be cutting up the food for my babies? I cut it real fine in long strips, they are 5 weeks old now. When do I stop cutting it for them. Ugh so many question and things to learn I am terrified that I am going to do them harm before I even get to raise them.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
If you have babies then cutting is aok and beneficial...here we are talking about our forum big boy..continue to cut but also leave a leaf or two uncut and place in with your babies....the work and practice for them is good :D

L82lalaland

5 Year Member
Lakeside, California
ascott said:
If you have babies then cutting is aok and beneficial...here we are talking about our forum big boy..continue to cut but also leave a leaf or two uncut and place in with your babies....the work and practice for them is good :D

Thanks, I see them both using their front legs to pull the romain apart it's so cute.

lovelyrosepetal

5 Year Member
Oklahoma
Hey Chris, how is Cooper doing? I haven't heard if the lower jaw is doing better or if it is roughly the same? I hope you are doing alright and that you are feeling better.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Besides what Angela has advised, I'm seeing that the lower beak may be just a bit weak. It seems to roll inward. I suggest giving Cooper a bit more calcium, and if he doesn't get any sun, calcium with d3.

cemmons12

5 Year Member
Greenfield, In.
lovelyrosepetal said:
Hey Chris, how is Cooper doing? I haven't heard if the lower jaw is doing better or if it is roughly the same? I hope you are doing alright and that you are feeling better.

It pays to go back an read my older post, Cooper is doing good, he is 22 month's, 21.6lbs, 16 inch's long and 11 inch's wide. His lower jaw is looking better now. I took Angela and Yvonne's advice. As far as me, I'm still having the same problem's and a new one that makes no sense to me and my doctor, she thought it was a blood infection but the med's didn't help, so back to square 1 on that issue. Have a great day!! :)

emysemys said:
Besides what Angela has advised, I'm seeing that the lower beak may be just a bit weak. It seems to roll inward. I suggest giving Cooper a bit more calcium, and if he doesn't get any sun, calcium with d3.
Thanks for the advice Yvonne! Sorry I'm just now responding to this, don't want anyone to think I am ungratefull for sure! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.